This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.125 / 50°7'30"N
Longitude: -5.1339 / 5°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 176096
OS Northings: 29694
OS Grid: SW760296
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.XBKW
Mapcode Global: FRA 084P.7RZ
Entry Name: Trecombe Farmhouse Including Front Garden Wall Immediately to South East
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66036
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NE CONSTANTINE
9/51 Trecombe Farmhouse including front
- garden wall immediately to south
Farmhouse. Probably late C16 or earlier, some early C17 work and extended probably
in C18. Granite rubble with granite dressings; limewashed at the front. Asbestos
slate roof with gable ends; the higher left hand gable end has granite coping with
scrolled ends. All the gables have granite ashlar stacks with moulded weathered caps
and there is a similar projecting rear lateral stack.
Plan: 3 room and cross passage plan, the lower end to the right is a cross-wing
projecting at the front with a front gable end stack heating the ground floor room
and the rear gable end stack heats the chamber above. The hall has a rear lateral
stack and the inner room has a large fireplace in the left gable end stack.
There is some evidence to suggest that the lower end cross-wing existed before the
main range. The walls of the lower end cross-wing are noticeably thicker and the
granite 4-centred arch doorway on the first floor at the junction of the 2 ranges,
has lead to the speculation that the cross-wing was a small first floor hall.
In 1715 the inner room fireplace was reduced and probably also in the C18 a straight
staircase was inserted into the passage and an unheated outshut was added to the
lower side of the cross-wing. Recently (survey 1987) the partition between the hall
and inner room was removed.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front and projecting gable-ended cross-
wing to the lower right end. Most of the windows at the front are late C18 or early
C19 16-pane sashes except for the centre first floor sash which is a C20 replacement
and the early C19 12-pane sash on the first floor of the inner face of the lower end
cross-wing; the window below has a chamfered granite frame, its mullion is missing
and the hoodmould is embedded into the front wall of the main range. The first floor
windows have slate cills, the ground floor have granite cills and lintels. The
cross-passage front doorway immediately to the left of the wing has a chamfered
granite frame with a 3-centred arch and convex stops.
The higher left hand gable end has a small blocked hollow chamfered granite window
frame on the first floor to the left.
The rear elevation has a projecting lateral stack with slate weathered set-offs; C19
6-pane first floor sash to the flight and a 2-light chamfered granite window frame to
the left with a label, its stops carved with sort of quatrefoils, the mullion has
been taken out and a late C18 or early C19 fixed-light 9-pane window inserted. The
slightly projecting gable end of the cross-wing to the left has a late C18 or early
C19 16-pane sash on the ground floor and a large C20 2-light 16-pane casement to the
left of the first floor. The lean-to outshut on the lower left side of the cross-
wing has a late C19 plank door at the back and a late C19 2-light casement with
glazing bars; a similar casement on the lower left side of the outshut.
Including the granite rubble walls immediately to the south east enclosing a small
front garden; there is a doorway with a chamfered granite frame, pyramid stops and a
straight head, probably a reused doorframe.
Interior: The hall and inner room are now one room. The inner room has a large
chamfered granite gable end fireplace, the left hand jamb moved inwards, probably in
1715, a date inscribed on the plaster on the lintel. The rear lateral hall fireplace
is blocked. In the hall an early C18 cupboard with a 6-panel door.
The lower end room has closely spaced roughly chamfered cross beams without stops, 3
have been replaced; the fireplace is in the front gable wall and is blocked with a
C20 range but there is a stone oven behind.
The doorway on the lower right hand side of the passage has a C17 wooden frame with
ovolo and hollow moulding. A straight stair has been inserted into the passage. At
the top of the stairs to the right into the chamber over the lower room there is a
heavy granite chamfered doorframe with a 4-centred arch and pyramid stops; it is not
rebated for a door, but has a C17 moulded plank door with wrought iron hinges. The
lower room chamber has a panelled cupboard door dated 1704.
Roof: The roof space was not inspected, however the feet of straight principals are
exosed in the first floor rooms.
Trecombe was in the small manor of Treworval.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall.
Listing NGR: SW7609629694
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings