History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables and Coach House West South West of the Trewardreva House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Constantine, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.1277 / 50°7'39"N

Longitude: -5.1833 / 5°10'59"W

OS Eastings: 172577

OS Northings: 30143

OS Grid: SW725301

Mapcode National: GBR Z6.83JX

Mapcode Global: FRA 081P.0J6

Entry Name: Stables and Coach House West South West of the Trewardreva House

Listing Date: 17 June 1988

Last Amended: 26 September 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142138

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66049

Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Constantine

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Constantine

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Constantine

Listing Text

The heading and list description for item 5/64 shall be amended to
read:-


SW 73 SW CONSTANTINE

5/64 Stables and coach house west
south west of the Trewardreva
House

GV II*


Stables and coach house to Trewardreva House qv. Probably built in 1719
when Trewardreva House was remodelled by Thomas Trewaren. Granite rubble
with a granite ashlar front and left hand (south) end. Scantle slate
hipped roof with red clay ridge tiles.
Plan; Rectangular on plan. The stables are entered through a doorway
at the centre of the front and the integral coach house at the right
hand end is entered through a doorway in the right hand end wall. The
loft above the whole building is entered via external stairs at the
right hand end at the back where the ground level is higher.
Exterior; 2-storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front of ashlar with flat
stone arches to the windows and segmental arch to the central doorway.
The opening above the doorway is blind. The other windows have C19
and C20 casements with glazing bars and the central doorway has circa
C19 plank double doors.
The right hand (north) end has a wide carriage doorway with an elliptical
dressed granite arch and later plank doors. To the right at this end
external stairs to the loft doorway with a C19 glazed door.
The left hand (south) end is ashlar and has a doorway to the right with
a segmental arch with a fanlight and plank door.
The rear (west) elevation has an external flight of stairs to the right
of centre to the loft doorway with a plank door. In the angle to the
right of the stairs a small single storey outshut and to the left a
group of brick pigeon holes.
Interior; The stable stalls have been removed. The roof structure was
not inspected.
Source; Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in
Cornwall. page 78.

------------------------------------

SW 73 SW CONSTANTINE

5/64 Stables and coach house west south
- west of the Trewardreva House,
including gate-piers immediately
east

GV II*


Stables and coach house to Trewardreva House qv. Probably built in 1719 when
Trewardreva House was remodelled by Thomas Trewaren. Granite rubble with a granite
ashlar front and left hand (south) end. Scantle slate hipped roof with red clay
ridge tiles.
Plan: Rectangular on plan. The stables are entered through a doorway at the centre
of the front and the integral coach house at the right hand end is entered through a
doorway in the right hand end wall. The loft above the whole building is entered via
external stairs at the right hand end at the back where the ground level is higher.
Exterior: 2-storeys. Symmetrical 5 window front of ashlar with flat stone arches to
the windows and a segmental arch to the central doorway. The opening above the
doorway is blind. The other windows have C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars and
the central doorway has circa C19 plank double doors.
The right hand (north) end has a wide carriage doorway with an elliptical dressed
granite arch and later plank doors. To the right at this end external stairs to the
loft doorway with a C19 glazed door.
The left hand (south) end is ashlar and has a doorway to the right with a segmental
arch with a fanlight and plank door.
The rear (west) elevation has an external flight of stairs to the right of centre to
the loft doorway with a plank door. In the angle to the right of the stairs a small
single storey outshut and to the left a group of brick pigeon holes.
Interior: The stable stalls have been removed. The roof structure was not
inspected.
Including a pair of gate-piers immediately east: The dressed granite gate-piers with
chamfered caps were erected in circa 1936 and incorrorate circa C17/18 finials with
ogee conical necks and large ball finails, all of granite. The finials were moved
from a position in front of the house where they were reused as garden ornaments.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. page
78.


Listing NGR: SW7257730143

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.