This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.094 / 50°5'38"N
Longitude: -5.1908 / 5°11'26"W
OS Eastings: 171880
OS Northings: 26420
OS Grid: SW718264
Mapcode National: GBR Z6.B7KM
Mapcode Global: FRA 080R.X3Z
Plus Code: 9C2P3RV5+HM
Entry Name: Bonallack Barton
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142153
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65995
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR12
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 7026-7126 CONSTANTINE
10/1 Bonallack Barton
House. Built in circa 1860 (reputedly 1855) by Colonel S.M. Grylls for his tenant
James Tyacke, reusing some C16 material from the old house (Bonallack Barton
Cottages, Nos 1 and 2 qv) and extended in 1898 for F.C. Baddeley by Sampson Hill,
architect, of Redruth. The original circa 1860 part of the house is granite rubble
with granite dressings and has a granite ashlar, front wall. The 1898 cross-wing
extension is shale rubble with granite dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with
granite caping to the gable ends which have moulded kneelers. Brick stacks at gable
ends and axial stack over the rear wing all with diagonaly set brick shafts.
Plan: The original circa 1860 house is L-shaped on plan. There are 2 principal
rooms in the front range with a wide entrance passage between, leading to a stairhall
behind the right hand room. The wing behind the left hand room contains the kitchen
and service rooms at the back. In 1898 a large drawing room was added in a cross-
wing at the right hand end and a single-storey lean-to and rear porch were added at
the back infilling the space between the 2 rear wings. The work was carried out for
the new owner F.C. Baddeley by S. Hill of Redruth who also prepared plans for a
school room to be built at the right end beyond the new cross-wing, but the school
room was not built.
Exterior: 2-storeys and 2-storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 3:1 window south east
front The original 2-storey 3-window ashlar-fronted range to the left has a
symmetrical front with 6-light granite mullion windows, centre first floor of 3
lights, all with 4-centred arch heads to the lights and with hoodmoulds; the ground
floor windows have king mullions. The central doorway has a 3-centred arch double-
chamfered frame with sunken spandrels and a hoodmould. All the hoodmoulds have
quatrefoil motif in their stops. Studded plank door in a roll-moulded doorframe.
Projecting gable end of cross-wing to right is 2-storeys and attic with Gothic
granite windows, the ground floor 1:3:1 light window with pointed arch heads and
segmentally arched hoodmould; the 4-light first floor window has similar pointed
lights and a depressed 2-central arch hoodmould, and the attic window is similar but
of 3 lights with a granite shield above with monogram of F.C. Baddeley and date 1898.
The right hand (north east) side of this cross-wing has a projecting gable and
single-light 4-centred arch windows.
The left hand (south west) elevation has reused circa late C16 or early C17 2 and 3-
light granite windows with hoodmoulds, some of the mullions removed.
The rear elevation has projecting gabel-ended wing of the 1860 part to the right and
slightly projecting gable end of the 1898 cross-wing to the left; the recessed
section between has a 3-light stair window with 4-centred-headed lights and a brick
single lean-to below incorporating a back porch.
Most of the C19 windows are intact including their original casements.
Interior: The left hand front room has carved wooden window lintel reused from the
old house. The room to the right of the entrance also has reused carved timber
window lintel. Both lintels have carved leaf decoration. The right hand room also
has a reused late C16 moulded 4-centred arch granite fireplace which was probably a
doorframe originally. The large drawing room in the right hand crosswing has a late
C19 granite Tudor arch fireplace in an inglenook.
The late C19 staircase has a wooden balustrade. The kitchen has a reused chamfered
granite arched lintel.
When Colenel S.M. Grylls established his family seat at Lewarne, St Neat, the old
house (Bonallack Barton Cottages, Nos 1 and 2 qv) was reduced to cottages for farm
workers. He built this house in circa 1860 for his tenant James Pellowe Tyacke. The
estate was later sold to F.C. Baddeley who extended the house in 1898. Baddeley
employed as the architect Sampson Hill, (architect and surveyor of Green Lane,
Redruth) who was architect to the Cornwall County Council Education Committee
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall
pages 124 to 132. Kellys directory 1910. Architect's plans in the possession of the
owner, Mr Lyall.
Listing NGR: SW7188026420
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings