This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1259 / 50°7'33"N
Longitude: -5.1604 / 5°9'37"W
OS Eastings: 174202
OS Northings: 29878
OS Grid: SW742298
Mapcode National: GBR Z7.L3LM
Mapcode Global: FRA 082P.9DL
Entry Name: Higher Treglidgwith House
Listing Date: 17 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142161
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66014
Location: Constantine, Cornwall, TR11
Civil Parish: Constantine
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE
8/28 Higher Treglidgwith House
House, originally a farmhouse. Dated 1799, restored in C20. Granite rubble with
dressed granite quoins, lintels and cills. Steeply pitched thatched roof with gable
ends, shaped granite kneelers and plain granite coping. C20 red brick stacks over
the gable ends.
Plan: Double depth plan with 2 principal front rooms heated from gable end stacks
and an entrance passage between the 2 rooms. The left hand room is larger and
probably originally the parlour and the smaller right hand room must have been the
kitchen. At the back there were 2 shallow unheated rooms. In the C20 partitions
between the front and back rooms were removed and the staircase which may have
originaly been situated between the 2 front rooms was replaced by a staircase at the
back of the right hand room. The single storey addition at the right hand end was
also added in C20. A circa C18 cottage situated diagonally across the rear right
hand corner has been incorporated into the accommodation.
Exterior: Symmetrical 2 window range. C20 2-light casements with glazing bars,
granite lintels and cills. Central doorway with an unchamfered granite lintel
inscribed "C.M. 1799" in upper case with serifs. C20 glazed door and large C20
glazed porch, with a thatched hipped roof.
Asymmetrical rear elevation has C20 2-light casements with glazing bars.
The circa C18 cottage across the rear right hand corner is of whitewashed granite
rubble with a slate gable-ended roof with a dressed granite stack on the right hand
Interior: The left hand room has a fireplace with a massive granite chamfered lintel
and jambs; the lintel is too long for the fireplace and seems to be reused. The right
hand room has a very large fireplace with a massive unchamfered granite lintel,
unchamfered granite jambs and an oven in the right hand side. C20 exposed soft wood
joists and C20 soft wood partitions.
Roof: The roof structure is said to have been replaced in C20.
Treglidgwith was in the manor of Treworval. In 1842 Higher Treglidgwith was a
holding of 57 acres which belonged to Thomas Medlyn. Therefore, C.M. inscribed on the
doorway lintel suggests that C. Medlyn held Higher Treglidgwith in 1799.
Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall.
pages 180 and 181
Listing NGR: SW7420229878
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings