This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1498 / 50°8'59"N
Longitude: -5.3013 / 5°18'4"W
OS Eastings: 164250
OS Northings: 32972
OS Grid: SW642329
Mapcode National: GBR FX98.SL0
Mapcode Global: VH12X.2H7H
Plus Code: 9C2P4MXX+WF
Entry Name: Polcrebo Moors Cottages
Listing Date: 26 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142209
English Heritage Legacy ID: 65823
Location: Crowan, Cornwall, TR13
Civil Parish: Crowan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Crowan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 63 SW CROWAN
4/115 Polcrebo Moors Cottages
Row of 3 cottages. Partly C17, remodelled and extended in 1836 (datestone). Granite
rubble with partly-dressed granite quoins, jambstones and lintels. Mostly scantle
slate roofs with granite coped gable left and brick chimney over gable end, right,
plus brick chimneys over the original gable ends, now cross walls. The central roof
is corrugated aluminium sheeting.
Plan: orginally a 2 room plan house with through passage, the front remodelled and
fireplaces partly rebuilt using some of the original materials the C18 or in 1836;
also in 1836 extended with a single cell building at either end reusing the original
C17 coping at the left hand gable end, and a single storey lean-to added behind the
original house, slightly overlapping the rear of each cottage and providing a pantry
for each household, at probably the same time.
2 storeys. Overall 4 window south front: original 2 window front house, middle, and
a similar one window front cottage at either end. The house has a blocked doorway
right of middle. Circa late C19 sashes in most openings but a circa early C19 12-
pane horizontal sliding sash survives at first floor left. The cottages at either
side each have a doorway towards the left and a window towards the right and a first
floor window midway over. At the left hand corner is a C17 ovolo moulded kneeler
stone carrying the gable coping. A stone in the wall of the right hand chimney
breast has the date 1836 in raised Arabic numerals.
Interior has some C19 floor and roof structure but floor removed in the original
part. Large fireplaces, the right hand fireplace of the house with a flat chamfered
C17 lintel and a blocked oven with an arched entrance.
Cobbled path and courtyard area at the front.
An attractive group in a partly wooded setting little altered since the C19.
Listing NGR: SW6425032972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings