This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.527 / 50°31'37"N
Longitude: -4.6815 / 4°40'53"W
OS Eastings: 210038
OS Northings: 73123
OS Grid: SX100731
Mapcode National: GBR N4.J39N
Mapcode Global: FRA 172N.XML
Entry Name: Church of St Protus and St Hyacinth
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142367
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67343
Location: Blisland, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Blisland
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Blisland
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 17 SW
9/55 Church of St Protus and St Hyacinth
Parish church. Norman origins, extended in circa mid and late C15. Restored in
circa 1896 by F. C. Eden.
Earlier stone rubble masonry in east wall of chancel, west end of nave, which has a
pronounced batter, and part of north transept. Ashlar granite south aisle, south
porch and north wall of north chancel aisle. Tower of roughly coursed ashlar
masonry. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one.
Plan: Earlier Norman church probably of cruciform plan with remains in west wall of
nave, east end of chancel, north transept and possibly lower stage of tower which is
situated on the north side of the north transept. South porch, 6-bay south aisle,
upper stage of tower and 2 bays of short north chancel aisle added in circa mid and
late C15. South wall of south transept (Morshead chapel) rebuilt in C19. Restored
in 1896 by F. C. Eden.
Exterior: Tower of 3 stages with rectangular stair projection on north east corner.
Battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to
belfry lights; circa C16 tracery in north chancel aisle; triple lancet Early English
chancel window, C15 and C19 Perpendicular tracery to south aisle. Separate entrance
to south transept chapel. Gabled south porch with C15 4-centred arch, sundial
(1780), holy water stoup, restored circa late C15 waggon roof.
Interior: C19 plastered walls and remains of circa C19 painted texts on east wall of
chancel. Sealed waggon roofs of high quality circa mid to late C15. Unmoulded 2-
centred tower arch with impost mouldings. 6 bay arcade to south aisle with 4-centred
moulded arches and type A (Pevsner) piers. Similar arch to south transept. 3-bay
north chancel aisles of similar design but with carved capitals, the western bay
forming the north transept arch.
Rood loft stair intact. Fine rood screen by F. C. Eden, 1896. C15 octagonal font
and Norman font bowl of Pentewan stone on later C20 stem and base. Timber pulpit
with sounding board; probably late C17 with fine carved timber decoration. Royal
Arms 1604. C17 communion table and circa mid C17 chest with carved panels at west
end of south aisle.
Memorials include brass of 1410 (Joh'is Balsam, rector) and several good C17 ledger
Fine church to south of village green.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall 1975
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1867, reprinted 1974.
Listing NGR: SX1004073122
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings