This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1419 / 50°8'30"N
Longitude: -5.1426 / 5°8'33"W
OS Eastings: 175550
OS Northings: 31596
OS Grid: SW755315
Mapcode National: GBR Z8.W28Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 083N.4B3
Entry Name: Treverva Methodist Church Including Ramp, Gate Piers, Gates, Walls and Railings at Road Frontage
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142693
English Heritage Legacy ID: 66470
Location: Budock, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Budock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Mabe
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 73 SE BUDOCK TREVERVA
3/53 Treverva Methodist church including
ramp, gate-piers, gates, walls and
railings at road frontage
Methodist chapel including ramp, gate-piers, gates, walls and railings at road
frontage. Datestone 1889. Slightly rock-faced dressed granite brought to course.
Granite brick and freestone dressings. Bitumen coated grouted dry Delabole slate
roof with gable ends. Chimney over later organ loft at rear.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan chapel over school room on the ground floor.
Chapel has ritual east end at the south-west end and a large window at the opposite
end (the front). The entrance porch midway to the left-hand wall is approached by a
ramp from a gateway at the road front. Later C19 or C20 canted organ loft at rear.
Gothic style features.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Unaltered elevation with original doors and windows in
original openings. Symmetrical l:l:l-bay north east front gable end with central bay
broken forward. Brick string courses, 3 courses of moulded granite kneeler stones to
the gables. Central bay has large 5-light pointed-arched freestone window with 5
lancets and a cinquefoil rose piercing an otherwise blind tympanum; coloured leaded
lights; the window has low transoms and is carried on a 7-bay blind arcade of pointed
arches. The hoodmould is of alternate brick and moulded freestone to produce a
polychrome effect and the apex of the central gable is constructed of decorated terra
cotta panels surmounted by a freestone finial. Ground floor windows (and windows to
the other elevations) have brick dressings including shallow arches over the
openings. Single-light windows in the bays flanking the principal window have
granite lintels with relieving arches over. South-east entrance front has central 2-
storey gable-ended porch with the first floor chapel doorway approached by a ramp on
the right. 4-panel door. In front of the ramp is a wide gateway with square-on-plan
piers with pyramidal cap. Right of the gateway is a low wall surmounted by railings
left of the gateway is a high coped wall with a stepped granite stile on its left.
Original wrought-iron gates and railings with scrolled decoration.
Interior (not inspected) has all of its original features and fittings.
Listing NGR: SW7555031596
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings