This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5935 / 50°35'36"N
Longitude: -4.6915 / 4°41'29"W
OS Eastings: 209597
OS Northings: 80542
OS Grid: SX095805
Mapcode National: GBR N4.CSVV
Mapcode Global: FRA 172H.L3D
Plus Code: 9C2QH8V5+9C
Entry Name: Trecarne and Garden Wall, Gate and Railings to Front
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68463
Location: Advent, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Advent
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Advent
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 08 SE
4/20 Trecarne and garden wall, gate and
- railings to front
House and garden wall, gate and railings. Circa late C16. Stone rubble. Rag slate
roof on front slope and scantle slate roof on rear slope with gable ends. Stone
rubble stack on left hand gable end and gabled projecting stone rubble rear lateral
hall stack on right. Stone rubble stack to outshot on rear left.
Plan remodelled. Probably originally of 2 rooms or more with a through passage; the
kitchen at the lower end on left heated by a gable end stack with cloam oven now
removed and large hall at the higher end on the right heated by a projecting rear
lateral stack. It is uncertain whether the house continued further to the right.
There is a circa late C16 arch in the rear wall towards the higher end of the kitchen
and a similar arch in the left hand gable end wall of the same room. These arches
may have been reset. In circa late C17 a dairy was added to the rear of the hall and
in circa late C18 the 2 storey outshot across the rear elevation was probably
remodelled. This outshot contains a stair, to the rear of the passage which may be
on the site of an earlier C17 stair originally accommodated in a stair projection and
remodelled in the late C18 and again in the mid C19. In circa early C20 an extension
of 1-room plan was added on the left hand gable end, set back from the front
elevation. Probably contemporary with this the kitchen on left was partitioned with
a corridor giving access to this new room.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3 window front. 2 large 2-light granite mullion windows
with hollow chamfered mullions and jambs and hood moulds flank a 4-centred granite
arch with a deep cavetto moulding, rectangular surround and hood mould; C20 door.
First floor has three 3-light granite mullion windows arranged at different heights.
In the left hand gable end wall of the earlier range is a blocked segmental arch with
hollow chamfer and run-out stop on right hand jamb. The jambs are of granite and the
head of the arch is of greenstone. A blocked square window with granite surround
originally lit the attic. Early C20 2 storey extension of stone rubble with slate
roof set back on left.
The rear elevation is also unspoilt with a 2 storey outshot with blocked square
granite window to first floor in left hand end and altered 2-light granite window
lighting dairy on rear right. Circa late C18 3-light casement lighting kitchen on
Interior : The through passage has been remodelled with the left hand partitions
altered to form a wide hall. The kitchen to the left has a large fireplace with
roughly cut granite lintel of considerable size and roughly cut granite jambs, the
right hand jamb remodelled and the fireplace has been partly blocked on the right
hand side. The hall to right is a large room, the fireplace on the rear wall blocked
with a C20 fireplace. Within the outshot on rear left is a blocked granite chamfered
segmental arch which originally led through into the kitchen.
Circa C18 roof of 9 bays with the principals halved, lap jointed and pegged at the
apices and the collars lapped and pegged onto the face of the principals. The
purlins are slightly trenched.
Garden wall to front with C19 iron railings and gate.
Head of a cusped 2-light circa C15 window reset in barn on north-west.
Trecarne was held by John Trecarne in 1469; in 1539 held in moieties by William
Carnsew gent and in the early C17 the entirety became vested in Richard Carnsew gent,
afterwards Sir Richard Carnsew of Bokelly (qv. Bokelly, St Kew Parish) who died in
Maclean, Sir Charles Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in
the County of Cornwall 1875
Listing NGR: SX0959780542
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings