This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6061 / 50°36'21"N
Longitude: -4.6807 / 4°40'50"W
OS Eastings: 210408
OS Northings: 81914
OS Grid: SX104819
Mapcode National: GBR N4.C3J8
Mapcode Global: FRA 172G.Q7V
Entry Name: Trethin
Listing Date: 19 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142720
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68465
Location: Advent, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Advent
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Advent
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 18 SW
House. Circa late C16 or early C17 with parlour wing added in 1655 (datestone).
Partly rendered stone rubble. Asbestos slate roof with gable end on right and hipped
end to front wing on left. Gable end to 2-storey porch. Stone rubble axial stack,
originally gable end stack on left and projecting rendered stone rubble stack with
set offs on right hand gable end. Side lateral stack to cross wing on left.
Plan : Although the ground slopes down on the left it appears that the higher stairs
end was on the left with a hall and parlour wing and the kitchen on the right.
Original plan possibly of 2 rooms or more with a through passage; the hall on left
heated by a gable end stack and with a stair projection on the front lower right hand
side. Kitchen on right heated by a gable end stack. 2 storey porch added on front
in circa early C17. In 1655 a parlour wing was added on the higher left hand end of
the hall, projecting forward; the front room heated by a side lateral stack. It is
uncertain whether the house continued further on the lower right hand side.
2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4 window front with front parlour wing on left, stair
projection near centre and 2-storey porch adjoining on right. The parlour wing has a
4-light mullion window on the ground floor with initials 'MV' (Matthew Vivian) in
labels. Inner side wall of wing has a 3-light mullion window on the ground floor and
a 4 over 8 pane sash on the first floor in a 3-light mullion window surround. The
hall on left has a large C20 window on the ground floor and a 2-light casement above
with a 3-light greenstone window in the stair projection to the right. The 2-storey
porch has a chamfered granite surround to the doorframe with pyramid stops and a C20
door. 2-light mullion window on first floor. The kitchen to right is lit by a C19
2-light casement on the ground floor with a 6-pane sash on the first. Lean-to
outshot on right hand gable end and to rear of hall.
Interior : Inner door to front of passage has a hollow chamfered granite surround
with pyramid stops. Thick cross wall on higher side of through passage and partition
on lower side continuing up to first floor. Entrance to hall on left with timber
circa late C16 segmental arched doorframe with chamfer, the stops eroded. The hall
fireplace has a chamfered granite surround the door adjoining to left, leading into
the parlour wing with an ovolo moulded timber doorframe of circa 1655. Ovolo moulded
timber doorframe to outshot to rear of hall, the circa C17 frame probably reused and
reset with runout stops with double nick at pointed end. Shouldered timber doorframe
to stair with chamfer and runout stops. In the kitchen, to the right of the passage,
several ceiling beams have been reused. The newel stair is carpeted and has
chamfered doorframe at the top leading into the room above the porch.
The parlour wing was added by Matthew Vivian in 1655 and remodelled partly in the
C19. The rear room has been partly altered with a partition and C19 stair inserted.
The front room is heated by a side lateral stack with 'M 1655 V' carved in the
granite lintel above the fireplace. The granite jambs are unusually hollow chamfered
and moulded on both sides as the fireplace projects into the room with ball and
pyramid stops on the inner side and diagonal stops on the outer side.
Roof: the roof structure above the porch was not accessible although the principals
appear to have slightly curved feet. The 2 trusses above the hall have trenched
purlins, the lower set possibly threaded, with morticed apices and a diagonally set
ridge. The collars are dovetailed with a single notch. The kitchen range has 1
truss of circa C18, the apex and collar partly halved, lap-jointed and pegged.
Copies of the inventory and will of Matthew Vivian dated 1664 are in possession of
Listing NGR: SX1040881914
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings