This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5955 / 50°35'43"N
Longitude: -4.6589 / 4°39'31"W
OS Eastings: 211915
OS Northings: 80685
OS Grid: SX119806
Mapcode National: GBR N5.CWMP
Mapcode Global: FRA 174H.DSF
Entry Name: Whitewalls Farmhouse, Outbuildings to Rear and Garden Wall to Front Left and Right and to Rear Right
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68469
Location: Advent, Cornwall, PL32
Civil Parish: Advent
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Advent
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 18 SW
5/24 Whitewalls Farmhouse, outbuildings
- to rear and garden wall to front
left and right and to rear right
Farmhouse, outbuildings and garden wall. Possibly late C18 with earlier origins.
Granite ashlar and stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble stack on
left hand gable end and stone rubble axial stack to right of centre.
Plan: Interesting plan although the exact arrangement is uncertain. The house
appears to be of single depth plan with an outshot added across the rear with further
outbuildings to rear and integral farmbuildings to right. The main range comprises a
house of at least 2 room single depth plan, the entrance in the rear elevation,
directly into the larger hall kitchen which is heated by an end stack on the left and
smaller room on right heated by an axial stack. Beyond this room, to the right is an
integral farm building which appears to have been a stable or shippon with a loft
above, approached by a flight of steps on the rear. Although this shippon or stable
seems contemporary with the house, it appears always to have been used for an
agricultural purpose and always to have had a separate entrance. The house may have
continued to the left although the front wall is only a facade with steps to rear
which lead up the steep bank on left to the field above. To the rear of the main
range is an outshot which was probably added in the C19 with a series of small
outbuildngs of uncertain purpose enclosed to right by an ashlar granite wall.
Exterior : 2 storeys. Regular 3 window front with 2 window openings on ground floor
lighting 2 rooms of house and 3 above, the right hand window lighting the loft above
the shippon or stable. The front wall continues to left forming a facade with a row
of pigeon holes. Rear elevation: entrance to rear left with probably reused
chamfered granite lintel. Entrance to loft on rear right with stone rubble and
Interior : Fireplace to left hand room partly blocked by Rayburn stove and C20 tiled
grate in right hand room. C19 ceiling beams and late C18 and C19 timber partitions
flanking simple softwood late C19 stair. Roof structure not accessible although the
roof structure above the stable and loft appears to be early C19, the principals with
lap-jointed and pegged apices.
Retaining wall to steep bank on front left of huge blocks of granite ashlar. Wall
continuing to front and rear of right hand gable end of granite ashlar.
In 1821 a Bryanite meeting was held at William Alford's house at Whitewalls and the
Bible Christian Magazine of 1876 records that preaching was held at the farm 'for
upwards of forty years'.
Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963 1963.
Listing NGR: SX1191580685
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings