This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.613 / 50°36'46"N
Longitude: -4.4465 / 4°26'47"W
OS Eastings: 227009
OS Northings: 82108
OS Grid: SX270821
Mapcode National: GBR NG.BPPP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17KG.5JW
Entry Name: Tolpetherwin Farmhouse
Listing Date: 25 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68414
Location: South Petherwin, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: South Petherwin
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Trewen
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SOUTH PETHERWIN -
SX28SE Tolpetherwin Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa Mid C18 probably 1746 the date on 'gateway arch immediately
south east' qv. Rougcast stone rubble the front hung with rag slates. Rag slate
steeply pitched hipped roof with C19 crested ridge tiles. Large external stone
rubble stacks at sides with tall shafts, the right hand rendered and with later
second shaft added. Double depth plan. The single storey wing behind the dairy
(left) is a C19 addition and in the angle there is a C20 porch. 2 storey.
Symmetrical 3-window south front. Original window openings with slate sills and
C20 casements. Central doorway with C18 6-panel door and small rectangular
fanlight with glazing bars. The C19 gabled porch retains square granite
monolith columns, with moulded capitals and necking, from the original porch; C19
red brick sides to porch. To the rear the main roof carried down over 2-storey
integral outshut with C20 casements and C20 central porch in angle with small C19
single storey wing right. Small single storey outshut on right (east) side with
granite monolith posts.
Interior: Much of the original C18 joinery survives including complete set of 2-
panel doors, some with fielded panels, and original dog-leg staircase with
moulded string, moulded handrail square newels and turned balusters (boxed in).
Elliptical arch on landing. Entrance hall has original cyma moulded plaster
cornice . Right hand room, original kitchen has large fireplace with cambered
arch and brick-lined bread oven. Chimney pieces removed from both front room
fireplaces. Dairy to rear left has stale shelves and large granite salting
Note: Probably built in 1746 for John and Ann Hickes, whose names are inscribed
on the 'Gateway Arch immediately south east of Tolpetherwin Farmhouse'(qv).
Listing NGR: SX2700982108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings