This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6123 / 50°36'44"N
Longitude: -4.3908 / 4°23'26"W
OS Eastings: 230944
OS Northings: 81908
OS Grid: SX309819
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.BRZP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17PG.379
Plus Code: 9C2QJJ65+WM
Entry Name: Church of St Paternus
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68435
Location: South Petherwin, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: South Petherwin
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: South Petherwin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SOUTH PETHERWIN SOUTH PETHERWIN
SX38SW Church of St Paternus
Parish Church. Norman church with some later medieval work largely rebuilt in
C15; restored and north aisle rebuilt in 1889 by G Fellow Prynne and west end
restored in 1897. Dressed Polyphant stones with granite dressings and granite
ashlar south porch. Slate roofs with granite coped gable ends with crosses at
apices and pierced ridge tiles. Late C19 cast iron gutters and drain pipes.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one; 6-bay full length north and south aisles, north
and south porches and west tower. The C15 church replaced a large aisled Norman
church (v. the Norman respond at west end of north arcade and Norman north
doorway). The tower arch and west doorway are circa C14 and the plinth at the
east end of the chancel is earlier then the C15 when the church was largely
rebuilt. The north aisle was rebuilt in late C19 but the north porch appears to
Exterior: Cavetto moulded granite wall plate and plinth. North and south aisles
have granite 4-centred arch perpendicular windows with hoodmoulds, the north
aisle late C19; south aisle with small rood stair turret in second bay from east.
Similar west windows. East windows and chancel east windows are of 4 lights with
intersecting panel tracery. Late C19 priests doorway on north side in weathered
projection. Granite ashlar south porch with moulded 3-centred arch with
quartefoils pendrels and label. North porch has moulded 4-centred and inner and
outer doorways with labels, with doorway set in Norman round arch with billet
moulding and scalloped capitals to missing shafts; inside over outer doorway
early carved corked and by inner doorway small stomp carved with palin and
waterleaf, only Norman stomp in Cornwall. Tall west tower in 3 diminishing
stages, set-back butresses with set offs, square stair tower on north east
corner, moulded battlements and octagonal crenellated and pinnacles with small
cross finials. 2-light perpendicular bell-openings on all sides of top stage,
clock faces on middle stage and large 2-centred with perpendicular west window in
lower stage with intersectingporch tracery, over moulded 2-centred arch west
Interior: Late C19 quarry tile floor. Plastered walls and exposed granite
windows with chamfered rear arches and arcades. 6-bay north and south arcades;
south arcade has peumer type A piers, north with type B except for 2 east bays
which are type A, granite moulded piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered
arches. No chancel arch. Tall tower arch with deeply moulded 2-centred arch and
shafts to respond with moulded capitals. Norman respond to west bay of north
arcade, square with chamfered corners with bar stops and imposts.
Unmoulded 3-centred arch rood stair doorway, the rood screen missing. Single 3-
centred arch chamfered piscina in south wall. Wagon roofs, ceiled with boards,
late C19 benches. Circa early C20 choir stalls with reused medieval covered
panels on front. Circa late C19 gothic altar table, reredos and altar rail 1901
tower screen with material from rood screen. Lecturn made from reused late C16
or early C17 panelling. Fine octagonal carved pulpit dated 1631 with linenfold
panels, carved baluster stem and caryated soffit ribs. C12 font with 4 detached
octagonal shafts. Royal Arms of James I in south aisle, painted on board. C20
organ by Heard and Sons of Truro.
Monuments: on south wall finely carved slate to Chevity Probat? d.1676:,
aedicule with Ionic columns and scrolled pediment with arms to Ambrose Manaton of
Trecarrell d. 1561. Cartouche to Revd Jones Couch Morgan d. 1808 and signed "cut
by Jno Deacon Milton Abbot". Marble Neo-classical draped tomb to Capt Charles
Morgan RM d 1849.
Stained glass: East window memorial of 1868. South aisle east window memorial
to Proctor Thomas Pulman d. 1938. South aisle window late C19 or early C20
depicting Last Supper. Other windows have plain stained glass panes but in
tracery of east window of south aisle are 2 reused C15 shields. 6 bells, rehung
in 1897 when 6th bell was added.
Sources: Buildings of' England p.215. Kelly's Directory of Devonshire and
Listing NGR: SX3094881909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings