History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carne Manor and Wall Adjoining on North East

A Grade II Listed Building in Altarnun, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.612 / 50°36'43"N

Longitude: -4.5425 / 4°32'32"W

OS Eastings: 220213

OS Northings: 82225

OS Grid: SX202822

Mapcode National: GBR NB.BWHL

Mapcode Global: FRA 17CG.458

Entry Name: Carne Manor and Wall Adjoining on North East

Listing Date: 22 November 1960

Last Amended: 23 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1142789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 68335

Location: Altarnun, Cornwall, PL15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Altarnun

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Altarnon with Bolventor

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Altarnun

Listing Text

ALTARNUN WEST CARNE
SX 28 SW
4/127 Carne Manor and wall adjoining on
22/11/60 north east ( formerly listed as
West Carne Manor)

II

House and remains of wall to front right. 1573 (datestone) possibly with earlier
origins. Restored in the mid to late C20. The house is constructed of granite
rubble with huge blocks of granite in the left hand side. There are numerous
straight joints and blocked openings. Rag slate and asbestos slate roofs; lower roof
on left with gable ends and granite parapet coping. Higher roof on right with hipped
end on right. Stone rubble axial stack near centre and stone rubble lateral stack to
rear right.
Plan: The original plan is uncertain and the house has undergone several
alterations and changes in the C17, C18, C19 and C20. The house appears to have had
a 2 or 3 room and cross or through passage plan, the position of the entrance having
been altered. The left hand room is constructed of different masonry and there is a
straight joint between the left and right hand room. The entrance and through
passage was probably near the centre, corresponding with an existing back door. The
left hand room was heated by an axial stack backing onto this putative passage and
lit by a large window inscribed with datestone of 1573. To the rear of this left
hand room, close to the fireplace and passage a winder stair in a stair turret
provided access to the first floor chambers. On the right hand side of the passage,
it is uncertain whether there were one or two rooms although there is the remains of
a rear lateral stack indicating that they were probably heated. On the front
elevation the eaves of the right hand range have been raised although, to rear, the
roof level is fairly uniform. There is a circa C19 one-room plan wing to rear of the
left-hand room and a C20 porch on the right hand end.
Exterior: Two storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window front. The lower range on left has a
4-light granite mullion window, the lintel inscribed 'ANNO DOMINO 1573 JOHN MORYDEC'
with 4-centred granite chamfered arch to doorframe to right. The higher right hand
range has two 3-light granite mullion windows on ground floor and two 2-light mullion
windows on first floor. The original eaves level was in-line with the cills of these
first floor windows. To rear there is a semi-circular stair turret lit by a square
headed one-light window and there are two one-light rounded headed circa C17 granite
window frames to the ground floor windows lighting the right hand range. The wall to
front right of the house may be the remains of a front wing although it is probably
more likely that the wall has been rebuilt, possibly reusing material from a part of
the house which has since been demolished. The wall has a reset 4-centred granite
arch near centre and 2-light and 3-light granite mullion windows to left and right.
Interior: The floor joists have been replaced probably after the fire in the mid
C20. In the left hand room is a fine quality 4-centred dressed stone arch to the
fireplace which has a multiple moulded (roll moulded and cavetto moulded) arch and
incised spandrels. To the rear of the fireplace is a fine quality granite ashlar
winder stair. The roof structure appears to have been replaced. The owners recall
sooting and blackening of the roof timbers although it is uncertain whether this was
the result of the C20 fire or an indication that the house has Medieval origins.
Roof structure not accessible.


Listing NGR: SX2021382225

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.