This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6046 / 50°36'16"N
Longitude: -4.5129 / 4°30'46"W
OS Eastings: 222276
OS Northings: 81338
OS Grid: SX222813
Mapcode National: GBR NC.CBLZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 17FG.PNK
Plus Code: 9C2QJF3P+VR
Entry Name: Church of St Nonna
Listing Date: 22 November 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68269
Location: Altarnun, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Altarnun
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Altarnon with Bolventor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 SW
4/50 (9/1) Church of St Nonna
Parish Church. Norman origins although largely rebuilt in circa later C15 when the
north and south aisles were added. Restored in 1867 by E. Sedding. North and south
aisles and porches of roughly coursed local stone with granite moulded plinth.
Chancel of stone rubble with granite quoins. Lower stage of tower roughly dressed
ashlar stone with upper stages of stone rubble. Regular slate roofs.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one with 5-bay north and south aisles, north and south
porches and west tower. The church probably has Norman origins with Norman font and
remains of piscina. The tower was probably started in the late C14 (Sedding), the
second and third stages added in the C15. The north and south aisles and porches are
probably late C15. The church was repaired and restored in 1867 by E. Sedding and
was repaired in 1986 after damage caused by lightening when a pinnacle fell from the
tower, through the roof.
Exterior: West tower of 3 stages with set-back corner buttresses to just above
second stage. Moulded plinth and strings and battlemented parapet with crocketted
finials. Stair tower on north west corner. Low multiple moulded 4-centred arch to
west door with C19 3-light west window and 2-light Perpendicular window above. 3-
light belfry openings with slate tracery and slate louvres. North and south aisle
have almost complete circa late C15 Perpendicular tracery with varying lead patterns
to glass. There is a C19 window in the west end of the south aisle and a datestone
above west window of the north aisle; DV:WC: 1795. This window has granite
intersecting tracery. 4-light Perpendicular chancel window. Granite ashlar rood loft
projecting in north aisle. The C15 north and south porches have 4-centred roll
moulded granite arches with incised spandrels and hood moulds. The C15 waggon roofs
have carved bosses and the doors are probably late C17, of double construction with
heavy raised and fielded panels.
Interior: Bare stone rubble walls, plastered on east end. Waggon roof to nave and
chancel heavily restored. C15 waggon roofs to north and south aisles partly restored
with carved bosses and wall plate. 5-bay C15 granite arcades to north and south
aisles with type A (Pevsner) piers, moulded bases and caps and moulded 4-centred
arches. Fine quality C15 carved rood screen across east end of nave, north and south
aisles with 2-centred arched openings with Perpendicular tracery. C19 roof loft,
stair removed. Communion rails extend across east end of chancel and north and south
aisles; fine moulded balusters with inscription 'JOHN RUDDLE MINISTER OF LAUNCESTON
PREBENDARY OF EXON AND VICAR OF IRIS PARISH 1684'. Bench at west end of church
inscribed 'WP: SC ANNO 1684'. Fine quality C16 bench ends and remains of some
benches. One bench end inscribed 'Robert Daye maker of this worke and William
Bokyngham Curate, John Hodge, Clarke, on M.D. (1500)'.
C19 pulpit. Norman font, circa 1100-1130 (Sedding) with square bowl carved with
floral patterns and painted carved bearded heads at the corners. Octagonal shaft and
C19 base. Carved head of Norman pedestal piscina at west end of church. Painted
texts, Lord's prayer, Creed and Commandment boards. Circa C18 altar tables.
Listing NGR: SX2227981337
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings