This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6887 / 50°41'19"N
Longitude: -4.5617 / 4°33'42"W
OS Eastings: 219150
OS Northings: 90801
OS Grid: SX191908
Mapcode National: GBR N9.5XS6
Mapcode Global: FRA 17B8.2NH
Entry Name: Fentrigan Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 11 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142868
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68118
Location: Warbstow, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Warbstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Jacobstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 19 SE
2/230 Fentrigan Farmhouse
(formerly listed as Fentrigan House)
Farmhouse. Probably C17 origins remodelled in the C19 and C20. Stone rubble. Rag
slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble axial stack to left of centre and end stack
Plan: Original plan uncertain. The house was probably much larger and has been
reduced to a 2-room and cross or through passage plan, heated by end stacks. Further
extended in circa later C19 with 1-room plan range on left, heated by fireplace
served by the originally end stack on left. The house appears to have been truncated
on the right hand end with circa C19 outbuildings now adjoining on right. There is a
service outshut across the rear which has been partly rebuilt in the C20. The owner
remembers further buildings to the front of the house, forming a courtyard.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:3 window front with dressed unmoulded granite
lintels to ground floor openings and brick segmental arches to first floor. Earlier
range on right has an almost symmetrical front with a C20 door flanked by a C20
P.V.C. window to left and C20 2-light casement to right. Three 4-pane sashes on
first floor. Extension to left has a C20 door on the ground floor and C20 P.V.C.
Interior: Only left hand room inspected. The owner states that the ceiling beams
and roof timbers have been replaced and the fireplaces covered over.
The manor of Fentrigan appertained to Tywardreath priory prior to 1540 when it was
annexed to the Duchy. It has remained in the hands of the Grigg family from the C17.
The hearth tax returns for 1664 record that John Grigg had five hearths, one fallen
down and one "stopt up".
Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall reprinted 1972.
Stoate, T.L. Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664
Listing NGR: SX1915090801
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings