This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6809 / 50°40'51"N
Longitude: -4.4332 / 4°25'59"W
OS Eastings: 228196
OS Northings: 89626
OS Grid: SX281896
Mapcode National: GBR NH.6F3L
Mapcode Global: FRA 17L8.QQV
Plus Code: 9C2QMHJ8+9P
Entry Name: Church of St Paternus
Listing Date: 23 August 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 68004
Location: North Petherwin, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: North Petherwin
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: North Petherwin
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 NE
8/109 Church of St Paternus
Parish church. Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored in 1878. Stone rubble with moulded plinth. West tower of large ashlar blocks and moulded plinth and strings. Slate roof, nave and chancel in one.
Plan: Comprises nave, chancel, north and south aisles and north and south porches with west tower. 3-bay arcade to north aisle with Norman piers and later C14 arches; remains of fourth bay to east. In circa C15 a further 2 bay arcade was added to the east end of the earlier north aisle. C15 5-bay south aisle. Church restored in 1878.
Exterior: Lofty west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with set off.
Moulded plinth and strings, battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Circa C19 polyphant stone 4-centred arch to west door with 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings with slate louvers. North-east and south aisle and chancel with C15 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Two 2-light cusped clerestory windows light upper walls of nave, above earlier north aisle. North porch rebuilt in C19. South porch has C15 granite arch with carved spandrels, sundial and south door with reset early wrought iron hinges. Remains of C15 waggon roof.
Interior: Lofty interior with high roofs and arcades. C19 roof to nave and boarded waggon roof to chancel with some C15 remains of wall plate, moulded ribs and carved bosses. Eastern most bay painted. C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 3-bay arcade to western part of north aisle with round Norman piers with scalloped capitals and later circa C14 2-centred arcade arches with the remains of a fourth arch to the east. Continuing to the east circa C15 2-bay arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers. Circa C15 5-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers. Remains of C15 chancel screen. C19 painted and gilded altar table and reredos and stencilled patterns on east wall of chancel. C19 furnishing with some remains of C16 bench ends in north aisle. Norman font with octagonal granite bowl, greenstone octagonal shaft and square base. Rood loft stair in projection on north aisle. 1685 (datestone) altar rails reset as tower screen.
Memorials include those to Leonard Yeo (1624), Grace Seccom of Wibworthy (qv
Webworthy) (1619), An Yeo (1633) and monument to Denis Kingdon of Barton (qv) (1851).
Photograph on north wall of church dated 1876 showing interior of church prior to
restoration. The arcade and plan of the church are illustrated by Sedding.
Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall. 2nd edition 1970.
Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall. 1909
Listing NGR: SX2819689626
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings