This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5174 / 50°31'2"N
Longitude: -4.8348 / 4°50'5"W
OS Eastings: 199131
OS Northings: 72464
OS Grid: SW991724
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.9KBF
Mapcode Global: FRA 07RP.J8Q
Plus Code: 9C2QG588+X3
Entry Name: Wadebridge Bridge
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1142975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67879
Location: Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: Wadebridge
Built-Up Area: Wadebridge
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
9/253 Wadebridge Bridge
Road bridge over River Camel. Circa 1468, financed by Thomas Lovybound vicar of
Egloshayle. Widened in 1847 and again in 1963, the consultant engineers Posford,
Parry and Partners.
Local stone rubble. Granite dressings used in the alterations of 1847 and 1963.
The bridge, 320 feet long, originally had 17 arches, 12 of which visibly survive; the
end arches having been built up and were used as cellars. The original pointed
arches are 18 feet 6 inches wide and rise some 9 feet from the springing point. The
piers are 12 feet wide with deep cutwaters between each arch, rising to form refuges
in the parapets. In 1847 granite segmental arches were inserted across the cutwaters
to widen the carriageway by 3 feet on either side, thereby diminishing the depth of
the cutwaters. In 1963 the bridge was widened on the south east side, almost
doubling the original width of the bridge. The design of the granite segmental
arches of the 1847 widening was copied using rusticated granite blocks with cutwaters
repeated, rising to form refuges.
The bridge was mentioned by William of Worcester in his visit of 1478 and a detailed
account is given by Leland (1538). The bridge originally connected 2 chapels on
either side of the river, one dedicated to St Michael and the other known as King's
Chapel, both of which have been demolished.
Local legend states that Lovybound, patron of the bridge, was unsure how to build
foundations on a river bed; however, after a dream about sheep shearing he set bales
of wool on the river bed, which in time swole up and bound the shifting mud, thereby
allowing secure foundations to be laid.
Henderson, C and Coates, H Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928, reprinted 1972
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872 reprinted 1974
Country Life 7 Jan 1965
Listing NGR: SW9913172464
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings