This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5102 / 50°30'36"N
Longitude: -4.8544 / 4°51'15"W
OS Eastings: 197710
OS Northings: 71718
OS Grid: SW977717
Mapcode National: GBR ZT.9S7C
Mapcode Global: FRA 07QQ.2MF
Entry Name: Church of St Breock
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143026
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67698
Location: St. Breock, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Breock
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST BREOCK ST BREOCK
SW 97 SE
3/65 Church of St Breock
Parish Church. Dedicated in 1259, extended in the C15, partly rebuilt in 1677 and
restored in 1881 and 1966. Stone rubble masonry with slate roofs. Remains of the
C15 carved timber wall plate to the earlier nave and chancel waggon roof has been
reset on the exterior of the south aisle and south transept.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one with north transept (Pawton aisle), and west tower.
In circa C15 the 6 bay south aisle was added and the south transept or Trevorder
aisle was possibly added or rebuilt in 1677. There are both north and south porches,
the north porch being the main entrance as the ground rises up steeply on the south
side of the Church.
Exterior: Squat west tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet. No west door,
restored or renewed 2-light west window and circa C15 belfry lights. The
Perpendicular tracery to the nave, chancel, south aisle and north and south transepts
is largely C19. North porch with moulded 4-centred arches and probably C17 triple
Interior: Walls stripped of plaster. Ceiled circa C15 south aisle waggon roof; the
roofs to the nave, chancel and north and south aisles renewed in C19. Circa C15 6-
bay south aisle with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with carved Beer stone capitals
and 4-centred arcade arches. C20 furnishings. Catacleuse stone font of circa C14
and painted Royal Coat of Arms (1710 AR). Several good memorials including circa C14
priests tombstone, brass to Christopher Tredennick, Sheriff of Cornwall temp. Henry
VIII and C16 and C17 slate memorials to the Tregagle, Tredennick, Goodfellow and
Tyake families. Altar piece dated 1822 at west end of church and remains of early
glass in the south aisle windows.
Picturesque setting in valley with ground rising to north, south and west.
Longden, Preb. A Church and Parish of St Breoke, with additions by Francis Hodges,
Pevsner, N and Radcliffe E Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition, 1970
Listing NGR: SW9771071718
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings