This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5051 / 50°30'18"N
Longitude: -4.7779 / 4°46'40"W
OS Eastings: 203114
OS Northings: 70946
OS Grid: SX031709
Mapcode National: GBR N0.KGK9
Mapcode Global: FRA 07WQ.GFZ
Entry Name: Park Farmhouse
Listing Date: 4 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143050
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67654
Location: Egloshayle, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Egloshayle
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Breoke
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 SW
4/20 Park Farmhouse
Farmhouse, the original purpose of the earlier building unknown. Medieval origins,
extended in circa C18 and C19. Stone rubble, the earlier range with ashlar slate
stone walls with plinth and dressed quoins. Rag slate roofs with gable ends. Brick
end stack incorporated as axial stack on left, brick end stack on right and brick
side lateral stack and end stack to rear wing.
Plan: Within the rear wing of the farmhouse is a tower-like structure, square-on -
plan comprisisng ashlar slate walls, over a metre thick on all four sides, with a
plinth evident on three of the four sides. Although incorporated into later
additions, the dressed quoins and straight joints are clearly evident and indicate
that this tower was probably of at least two storeys and approximately 7 metres in
diameter. The purpose, however, is unclear; Leland described a place called Park
where "Bottreaux had a fiare manor castelle" in circa 1535-39 and Polsue in 1876
suggested that the farmhouse occupied the site of the old mansion. E H Sedding
(1909), however, suggested that the tower may have formed a gateway or entrance to
the quadrangle of the manor house, connected to the main building by curtain walls.
Alternatively, Davies Gilbert recorded walls, fences, gardens, walks and a tower
house associated with the ancient deer-park, partly extant in 1838, although the park
appears to have been sited further to the east with Pencarrow (derivation head deer
or chief deer) at the head.
The earlier remains now form part of the rear wing of a farmhouse of overall 'L'
shaped plan. Comprising a front range of 2-room and cross passage plan heated by end
stacks, a stair and service room to the rear of the left hand room and passage and
the tower to the rear of the right hand room. Beyond the tower is a further room,
the end wall rebuilt in the late C20 and a garage with room above was added to the
left hand room of the front range in the mid to late C20.
Exterior: 2-storey. Regular 4-window front with brick segmental arches to openings.
C19 6-panel door with C19 20-pane hornless sash to left and C20 24-pane horned sash
to right. First floor with four 3-over 6-pane sashes. C20 extension to left, slate
hung with garage doors. Pointed dressed stone relieving arch to earlier structure on
rear left of rear wing, near junction with front range.
Interior: The earlier structure is now heated by a side lateral stack with a C20
fireplace and it is uncertain whether the tower was originally heated although there
does appear to be the remains of a second flue in the south-west wall. The first
floor joist comprise seven Massive roughly cut serpentine beams. In the front right
hand room is a high quality circa mid C18 timber carved chimney-piece.
Directly to the north east of the farmhouse is a barn (not included in the listing)
with two raised cruck blades with evidence of earlier threaded purlins and morticed
collars (now removed). Although probably soot-blackened the two trusses appear to
have been reset. Sedding suggests that this barn may have been a chapel althouth
there is little evidence surviving to confirm this.
Park was the seat of the Peverell family, later passing to the Bassets, Bottreaux,
Opie and Hickes, purchased Temp. Anne by Sir John Molesworht.
Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall, 1876
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1876,
Sedding E H Norman Architecture in Cornwall, 1908.
Listing NGR: SX0311470946
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings