History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pendavey Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Egloshayle, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5069 / 50°30'24"N

Longitude: -4.8125 / 4°48'45"W

OS Eastings: 200666

OS Northings: 71234

OS Grid: SX006712

Mapcode National: GBR ZV.N56C

Mapcode Global: FRA 07TQ.DXK

Entry Name: Pendavey Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1143054

English Heritage Legacy ID: 67665

Location: Egloshayle, Cornwall, PL27

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Egloshayle

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Breoke

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Egloshayle

Listing Text

EGLOSHAYLE
sx 07 SW
4/31 Pendavey Farmhouse

II


House, now farmhouse. Circa early to mid C18, part remodelled in late C18. Ashlar
stalestone and stone rubble. Asbestos slate roofs with hipped ends to front range
and to rear wing. Brick shaft to rear lateral stack on left and brick axial stack
between front and rear right hand wing. Brick end stack to rear right hand wing.
Plan: Original plan uncertain. The house is built across a slope with the ground
sloping down in front of the house and house has a cellar below the front range.
Front range of single depth 2-room plan witha wide central entrance hall, stair in
projection to rear and 2 reception rooms heated by rear lateral stacks. The rear
right hand wing may possibly be an addition of the later C18 comprising a one-room
plan, originally the kitchen, heated by aback-to-back fireplace shared with the front
right hand room. In circa early C19 a further room was added to the rear wing
comprising a large kitchen heated by an end stack. Circa mid C19 extension of 1 room
plan added to rear of left hand room and further extended with a dairy in the late
C19 to early C20.
Exterior: 2-storeys and cellar. Symmetrical 5-window front with dressed slate and
slatestone flat arches with keyblocks to window openings. Central panelled door with
blind fanlight and broken pediment above. Timber cased piers. 2 horned 12-pane
sashes to right and left and five 3-over 6-pane sashes on the first floor, the fouth
sash probably early C19. Round headed late C18 or early C19 stair window to rear.
Interior: Largely complete with late C18 and early to mid C19 joinery and carpentry.
Wide entrance hall with early C19 plaster cornice and late C18 to early C19 stair
with open string, stick baulusters, turned newels and moulded and wreathed rail.
Moulded cornice in left hand room and simpler cornice in right hand room, both with
C20 chimney-pieces. Gun rack above C19 mantleshelf to earlier kitchen.
Domesday manor site. Polsue states that the Priors of Bodmin had a chapel at
Pendavey. In 1669 the manor, mansion house and barton passed ot the Moyle family.
Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the
County of Cornwall. 1876
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1876
reprinted 1974.


Listing NGR: SX0066671234

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.