This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4539 / 50°27'14"N
Longitude: -4.8269 / 4°49'36"W
OS Eastings: 199426
OS Northings: 65384
OS Grid: SW994653
Mapcode National: GBR ZV.RFFR
Mapcode Global: FRA 07SV.FCX
Entry Name: Church of St Clement
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143078
English Heritage Legacy ID: 67625
Location: Withiel, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: Withiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Withiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 96 NE
3/159 Church of St Clement
Parish church. C13 foundation; nave and chancel probably of C14; alterations of mid-
late C15. C19 restoration. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings.
South aisle, porch and west tower in granite ashlar. Slate roof with crested ridge
tiles and raised coped verges to gable ends.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one; in circa mid C15, the north chancel aisle was added
and the east end of the chancel rebuilt. Later C15 addition of south aisle and south
porch, and west tower.
Exterior: Nave only visible on north side; has two 3-light windows with Perpendicular
tracery and relieving arch, and central pointed arched doorway, chamfered, with C19
door with studs. C19 ashlar stack.
The chancel east end is on a moulded plinth, continuous with both aisles; pilasters
surmounted by tall panelled piers with crocketed pinnacles; 5-light Perpendicular
east window with 4-centred arch, hood mould with label stops.
North chancel aisle of 3 bays, with no plinth on the north side; all windows are 3-
light, with cusped lights and square hood mould. To east the verge is swept down
from the chancel, with a 2-light window with cusped lights, Y tracery, 4-centred arch
ad hood mould.
The south aisle is of 6 bays on a hollow-chamfered plinth, with porch in second bay
from west. All windows are 3-light, with cusped lights, cenral light taller with 4-
centred arch, hood mould with label stops. West end has similar larger window. East
end has similar taller 4-light window with Y tracery.
Gabled south porch on hollow-chamfered plinth. The outer doorway has tall 4-centred
arch, hollow-chamfered with nook-shafts. C18 slate sundial with gnomon above and
cross finial. Interior of porch has granite paved floor and benches to sides. C15
ceiled wagon roof with carved ribs and wall-plates, bosses probably re-carved in
early C19. Holy water stoup to right with carved shield. Inner doorway has tall 3-
centred arch, roll-moulded with recessed spandrels, tympanum with carved shield and
leaves with wave-moulded surround. C19 door with good ironwork.
The west tower is in 3 stages on chamfered plinth, set-back weathered buttresses and
embattled parapet with octagonal piers with crocketed pinnacles. West door with 4-
centred arch and hood mould, C19 door with studs; 3-light west window with cusped
lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould, 3-light bell-openings at third stage with
cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould, with wooden
louvres. To north east, there is no buttress, but a stair tower with lancets.
Interior: The south aisle walls are plastered, the rest in stone rubble. The nave
and chancel have early C19 wagon roof with carved bosses, of similar workmanship to
those at Church of St Meubred, Cardinham (q.v.). The south aisle has wagon roof with
some carved ribs and wall-plate of C15, and similar bosses. The north aisle roof is
ceiled. Tall round tower arch with imposts. The nave has 6-bay south arcade with
Pevsner A-type piers and 4-centred arches ; similar 3-bay north arcade with a C19
wooden screen across. Opening for the rood in the north and south arcades. The wall
is stepped back by the north arcade at the point where the north aisle was added.
Fittings: C19 wooden benches in nave and wooden pulpit; all with Gothic decorative
detail. C19 marble reredos. Fine stone font in nave, probably C15, with octagonal
bowl with carved panels, on octagonal carved stem with panels and cable moulding. In
the north aisle, 2 carved wooden figures fixed to a scrolled board; these are
probably surviving from an early screen or as corbels to the roof.
Monuments in chancel: slate headstone to Henry Vyvyan, 1811, with carved figures in
Gothic style; oval stone tablet to Grace Phillipps, 1818; marble tablet with urn, to
Richard Frewren, 1792. The north aisle has floor paved with early C19 headstones.
Glass: fragment of C15 stained glass in the east window of the south aisle, showing a
shieled of arms and a bishop's mitre.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SW9942965387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings