This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1444 / 50°8'39"N
Longitude: -5.4933 / 5°29'35"W
OS Eastings: 150512
OS Northings: 32987
OS Grid: SW505329
Mapcode National: GBR DXT9.GJS
Mapcode Global: VH12S.QMSP
Plus Code: 9C2P4GV4+PM
Entry Name: Hogus House
Listing Date: 16 January 1978
Last Amended: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70407
Location: Ludgvan, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: Ludgvan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Ludgvan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN
SW 53 SW
8/59 Hogus House (formerly listed as The
Former rectory, now house. Circa late C18, extended circa early C19 and probably
late C19, reduced C20. Home of Sir Humphry Davy 1778-1829, the eminent chemist and
inventor of the minor's safety lamp. Granite ashlar front, otherwise granite rubble
with granite dressings. Hipped granite scantle slate roofs. Brick chimneys.
Plan: originally probably L-shaped plan with 2 equal size front reception rooms with
entrance hall between and study and service wing at right angles behind the right
hand room. Circa early C19 the rear of the house was remodelled and extended to make
a garden front on the right with central canted bay and with another canted bay at
rear middle. The stair hall was probably resited to its present position behind the
left hand room and a service wing with servant's stair was added behind the stair
hall. The service wing was reduced to single storey in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys over basement (cellar under right-hand room only). Symmetrical 5
window south front: basement as plinth, ground floor cill string, midfloor string,
moulded parapet cornice; chamfered rusticated quoins; flat arches with projecting
keystones over windows. Round-headed doorway approached by a flight of 4 granite
steps. Panelled door with possibly original fanlight over.
Round-headed stair window over cellar stair window (left hand wall); 2 storey canted
bay windows (right hand wall and rear) mostly sashes.
Interior: C18 features: chimney pieces in 3 reception rooms, some moulded ceiling
cornices, window shutters and 6-panel doors. Circa early C19 features: open-well
open-string stair with guttae detail.
Listing NGR: SW5051232987
Other nearby listed buildings