This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1678 / 50°10'3"N
Longitude: -5.3728 / 5°22'22"W
OS Eastings: 159235
OS Northings: 35191
OS Grid: SW592351
Mapcode National: GBR FX37.HQR
Mapcode Global: VH12V.T1GQ
Entry Name: Deveral Chapel
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70098
Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwinear
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 NE
4/1 Deveral Chapel
Methodist chapel. Reputedly opened circa 1793-4, extended circa late C19.
Rendered rubble and possibly cob. Grouted scantle slate roof at front (east) and
asbestos slate at rear with brick chimney over the left-hand gable end and
polygonal scantle slate roof with cast-iron ogee gutters over porch adjoining the
right-hand gable end.
Plan: Rectangular aisle-less plan chapel with entrance at the south (ritual west)
end. Extended circa late C19 with a vestry at the north end and a porch at the
Exterior: single storey. Original part, right has 2 windows at front and rear with
doorway in the middle of the right-hand (south) gable end. C19 vestry on the left
with 1 window at the front and doorway at the rear with original 4-panel door and
overlight. Main doorway in front wall of porch has original C19 4-panel door with
2-pane overlight. The windows are C19 12-pane hornless sashes.
Interior: has box pews stepped up slightly to the south in front of which is a
space formerly occupied by benches (Christopher Stell).
Claimed to be the oldest Methodist chapel still in use in Cornwall (Christopher
Sources: An Inventory of non-conformist chapels by Christopher Stell RCHM.
Listing NGR: SW5923535191
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings