This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1909 / 50°11'27"N
Longitude: -5.3669 / 5°22'0"W
OS Eastings: 159777
OS Northings: 37741
OS Grid: SW597377
Mapcode National: GBR FX45.LGL
Mapcode Global: VH12N.XGMJ
Entry Name: Polkinghorne Farmhouse and Adjoining Cartshed and Former Stable
Listing Date: 14 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143726
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70103
Location: Gwinear-Gwithian, Cornwall, TR27
Civil Parish: Gwinear-Gwithian
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Gwinear
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 53 NE
4/6 Polkinghorne Farmhouse and
adjoining cartshed and former
Farmhouse, adjoining cartshed and former stable. Possibly C17 core, remodelled
probably in the C18, early C19 and late C19. Granite rubble with granite dressings;
slate hanging to porch. Scantle slate roofs with brick chimneys over the gable
ends. Cast-iron ogee gutters. Hipped corrugated asbestos roof over the adjoining
cartshed and stable.
Plan: irregular L-shaped plan house with parlour wing at right angles to rear right
and single storey cartshed and stable adjoining at right angles to left and
projecting at the front. The main range has shallower depth one-room plan cottage
slightly set back on the left and an L-shaped 3 room house on the right with a C19
lean-to in the rear angle. The stair hall is on the left-hand side of the rear
Exterior: 2 storeys. Overall 5 window north-west front: slightly irregular 2
window front of cottage, slightly set back on left and nearly symmetrical 1:1:1 bay
front of house on right. The cottage has circa early C19 6-panel door at left; 16-
pane hornless sashes of probably same date to first floor and later 6-pane hornless
sash to ground floor right. House has central doorway with circa late C19 panelled
door; circa late C19 horned sashes. Late C19 hipped-roofed 2-storey porch is open
at ground floor and carried on 2 reused C17 granite columns of approximately Doric
order. A map of 1792 shows a porch-like projection in the left-hand window
position. The stable wing, far left has openings facing left and the only window
opening has a circa early C19 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash.
Interior: house has features of circa 1890 and has been little altered since.
Earlier features possibly hidden.
Listing NGR: SW5977737741
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings