This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1013 / 50°6'4"N
Longitude: -5.4159 / 5°24'57"W
OS Eastings: 155821
OS Northings: 27942
OS Grid: SW558279
Mapcode National: GBR FX0D.VCD
Mapcode Global: VH131.2QP7
Entry Name: Porth-En-Alls Lodge
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143755
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70069
Location: St. Hilary, Cornwall, TR20
Civil Parish: St. Hilary
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Hilary
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST HILARY PRUSSIA COVE
SW 52 NE
3/165 Porth-en-Alls Lodge
Chauffeurs lodge to Porth-en-Alls house qv including adjoining walls and steps.
Circa 1910-1914. Designed and the work supervised by Philip Tilden, a distant
relative of T.T. Behrens for whom the house was built. Killas and granite rubble
with granite dressings. Stone slates (from the Forest of Dean) laid in diminishing
courses with the ridge following the segmental plan of tie house and half-hipped ends
on the radius. Dressed stone chimneys over the front wall.
Plan: segment of a circle, 1 room deep, completing the outer part of a circular
courtyard in front (west) of Porth-en-Alls, qv. Built into bedrock at the rear
(west) and with rooms radiating on the ground floor. Central doorway to basement
steps leading up to ground floor rear passage giving access to all the rooms. Dining
room right of the passage, kitchen far right with WC in front; reception room left of
the entrance and principal bedroom probably originally the reception room far left.
The other bedrooms are in the attic, approached by a steep stair.
Exterior : Single storey plus attic over basement. Symmetrical 2 window convex east
front with central moulded doorway to thicker basement wall with square-on-plan
terminal buttress at either end. Double flight of stone steps carried on 4-centred
arch in front of doorway. Over the doorway is a gabled attic stair turret with small
lozenge shaped window. The ground floor walls are set back slightly on either side
of the turret and the windows adjoin on either side filling the spaces between the
turret and the 2 lateral chimneys. The thicker basement (retaining) wall has slate
(like the roof) weathering.
Under the hip at each end is a wide window. All the windows are original wooden
casements with glazing bars.
Interior : virtually unaltered since built with original carpentry and joinery with
the structural elements freely exposed.
At either side of the front is a rubble and earth retaining wall with alternate
vertical and horizontal courses and on the far right is a flight of dressed granite
Listing NGR: SW5582127942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings