This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1252 / 50°7'30"N
Longitude: -5.4748 / 5°28'29"W
OS Eastings: 151730
OS Northings: 30793
OS Grid: SW517307
Mapcode National: GBR DXVC.502
Mapcode Global: VH130.230W
Plus Code: 9C2P4GGG+33
Entry Name: The Manor Office
Listing Date: 9 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143767
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69999
Location: Marazion, Cornwall, TR17
Civil Parish: Marazion
Built-Up Area: Marazion
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Marazion
Church of England Diocese: Truro
MARAZION WEST END, Marazion
4/90 The Manor Office originally
Trelawney House, formerly The
House including steps at the front. Built circa 1775 possibly by John Wood the
younger for John Blewett. Granite ashlar walls. Scantle slate pyramidal roof
surmounted by circa late C19 penthouse/nursery. Embattled parapet with the flues of
the chimneys terminating within the merlons over the side walls.
Plan: double depth plan: large central entrance hall behind porch with large stair
hall behind, principal reception rooms on left with large room at the front linked by
wide doorway to smaller room behind; small parlour right with service stair behind
and probably original kitchen behind the stair. Classical style with some Gothic
Exterior : 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window 1:1:1 bay south west front with central
doorway. Pilasters flanking the front, central bay broken forward. Plinth; keyed
flat arches; mid-floor bands; glyphs to the pilaster capitals and Gothic style arcade
under moulded cornice of the embattled parapet. Circa late C19 horned sashes in
original openings. Porch: paired Tuscan pilasters flanking central doorway
approached by granite steps, pair of double doors with fielded panels and overlight;
cornice with breaks is similar to main cornice but with more complex moulding and
chevron-headed parapet over.
Rear has 3-light windows to the stair.
Interior : most of the original C18 carpentry, joinery, architectural features
including some fine plasterwork survive; open-well open-string stair (carried up
through 3 floors) with moulded mahogany handrail ramped at the turns and wreathed
over the newel, and fluted stick balusters on plinths; original doors with fielded
panels; late Rococo plasterwork with arabesques and swagged friezes under egg and
dart cornices. The doorway between the left hand rooms is flanked by engaged
Corinthian columns with scrolled open pediment over. In the front room, left, is a
fine marble chimneypiece.
Along the front of the house is a raised walk with wide central stair with acorn
finials above plinth balustrades and the stair at either end. Flanking-the porch is
low pierced balustrade between short granite posts with moulded caps.
Said to be modelled on Tregenna Castle qv, St Ives, by John Wood the younger. At the
death of John Blewett in 1774 the house passed to John Blewett his son. Later owned
by Theopholis Code, whose fortune of £100,000 was squandered by 1868. It is
interesting to compare this house not only with Tregenna Castle, but also with The
Old Manor House qv., Fore Street and Acton Castle qv., Perranuthnoe, all of about the
Historical information kindly supplied by David Howard.
Listing NGR: SW5173030793
Other nearby listed buildings