This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.0423 / 50°2'32"N
Longitude: -5.6602 / 5°39'36"W
OS Eastings: 138032
OS Northings: 22213
OS Grid: SW380222
Mapcode National: GBR DXDK.XSL
Mapcode Global: VH05T.V61F
Plus Code: 9C2P28RQ+WW
Entry Name: Church of Saint Levan
Listing Date: 15 December 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1143872
English Heritage Legacy ID: 69758
Location: St. Levan, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Levan
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Levan
Church of England Diocese: Truro
ST LEVAN ST LEVAN
SW 32 SE
7/210 Church of Saint Levan
Parish church. C13 or C14 font and possibly parts of chancel, north transept and
north wall of nave, otherwise C15 restored in 1891. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise granite rubble with granite and freestone dressings. Dry delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends.
Plan: Nave/chancel and north transept have some C13 wall; west tower added in the
C15; south aisle and porch added later in the C15.
Exterior: Complete C15 2-stage embattled tower except for window over west doorway which is C19 copy. 4-centred arched doorway; 2-light traceried windows to upper stage; corner pinnacles; hoodmoulds. Remainder of church has C15 4-centred arched doorways including moulded inner south doorways, and C19 windows in Perpendicular style. C19 lancet window in probably C13 opening to west wall of north transept. Canted rood stair projecting towards right of south wall. C18 sundial over porch doorway.
Interior: Plastered walls; possibly C13 ogee-headed piscina to north wall of
chancel; original basket arch on corbels to tower. C15 basket-arched doorway to rood stair; C15 6-bay arcade with octagonal piers between nave/chancel and south aisle and similar 2-bay arcade between nave and north transept; complete C15 waggon roof to porch; restored C15 waggon roof to south aisle (with old black and yellow chevron decoration) and C19 waggon roof to nave/chancel.
Fittings: C15 or early C16 bench ends to six C19 pews and panelled font with
cinquefoil tracery of similar late medieval date; C15 carved base of rood screen; oak pulpit dated 1752 and with initials IHS, otherwise C19 fittings including carved reredos with quatrefoil tracery.
Listing NGR: SW3803222213
Other nearby listed buildings