History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Detached Wool Store Immediately South South West of Shepherds Purse, Bankside, Wool Store and Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Columb Major, Cornwall

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.4499 / 50°26'59"N

Longitude: -4.9429 / 4°56'34"W

OS Eastings: 191171

OS Northings: 65255

OS Grid: SW911652

Mapcode National: GBR ZN.4LW8

Mapcode Global: FRA 07JV.XT1

Entry Name: Detached Wool Store Immediately South South West of Shepherds Purse, Bankside, Wool Store and Stables

Listing Date: 30 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144025

English Heritage Legacy ID: 71343

Location: St. Columb Major, Cornwall, TR9

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Columb Major

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Columb Major

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Columb Major

Listing Text

TALSKIDDY
SW 96 NW
2/337
Detached Wool Store
immediately south south
west of Shepherds Purse,
Bankside, Wool Store and
Stables
GV
II

Wool Store. Circa 1840, rebuild, probably retaining some earlier fabric. Cob
and stone rubble patching. Hipped slate roof, partly reclad in corrugated
iron. Plan: Rectangular on plan at right angles to road. The west end has a
wool loft with louvred sides. The east end and south side have outshuts which
are possibly part of the original building. Exterior: 2 storeys. At right hand
end of north front and at right hand (west) end facing road the first floor has
3-bay wooden louvred openings with adjustable louvres, the south front south a
loft doorway and doorways on the ground floor. The centre of the north front
appears to have been rebuilt in stone rubble. At the east end the outshut is
probably the remains of the original range which has been reduced in height. At
rear (south) another cob outshut with a slate lean-to roof. Interior: not
inspected. Historical Note: Said by owner to have been built by a Mr Allanson
from Yorkshire. It is shown on the 1840 tithe map. The West Briton (newspaper)
of 25 September 1840 reports a fire here - "the premises were totally destroyed,
together with a large quantity of wool, whole of the working tools and other
valuable property to a large amount". Wool Stores with louvred lofts are very
unusual in Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SW9117165255

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.