This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4072 / 50°24'26"N
Longitude: -4.6702 / 4°40'12"W
OS Eastings: 210361
OS Northings: 59781
OS Grid: SX103597
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RL7C
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.8D6
Plus Code: 9C2QC84H+VW
Entry Name: Guildhall
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144227
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70839
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL FORE STREET (south side),
SX 15 NW
Guildhall, with museum at ground floor. Dated 1740, with some C19 and later
alterations. Granite ashlar. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles.
Single room plan, with the guildhall chamber at first floor and entrance at the
centre of the front; a 2-storey addition to rear contains the staircase and one-room
plan rear wing.
2 storeys on plinth; ground floor has arcade of 3 round arches with rectangular piers
and square imposts, 2 bays to left fronting ground floor room, bay to right leading
to a passage to rear. At first floor, three 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars,
cills and voussoirs; set below the central window, date plaque in limestone, with
shield and inscription: Richard Edgcumbe Esq erected this building Anno 1740. Boxed
eaves. Left side in granite ashlar. Right side has passage wall in granite rubble,
with 5 granite steps to fine panelled double doors with strap hinges, wall slate-hung
above doors. To right, the rear wing is in granite rubble, single light with iron
grille at ground floor, first floor has raking dormer with large 4-pane sash and
small single light under eaves. To rear has large 8-pane sash above the passage,
lighting the upper chamber.
Interior The first floor chamber has fielded dado panelling, with re-sited linenfold
panelling along the west end wall. At the west end, there are steps to right and
left leading up to the dais; turned balusters and moulded handrail, and balustrade
along the front of the dais. Benches along rear, and central mayoral seat; this has
balusters and moulded arms, set into the wall with a rounded panel over, Ionic
pilasters and broken pediment with dentils and egg and dart mouldings. In front of
the dais at lower level, a similar seat with plain panelled back and cornice over.
Deep coved plaster cornice. Hung on the east wall, painting of Richard, Lord
Edgcumbe, 1760, given to the borough by his son.
Listing NGR: SX1036159781
Other nearby listed buildings