This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4078 / 50°24'27"N
Longitude: -4.6688 / 4°40'7"W
OS Eastings: 210461
OS Northings: 59837
OS Grid: SX104598
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RLL4
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.2YJ
Entry Name: The Manse and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70869
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL NORTH STREET, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/117 No 23 (The Manse) and attached
Vicarage, now residential home. Circa 1780, with C19 additions and alterations, C20
alterations. Granite ashlar front, rubble to sides and rear. 2-span slate roof with
gable ends and ridge coping tiles, stacks in centre valley.
Double depth plan, with large principal room to front right, smaller room to front
left, rear service room to left and stair well to rear right. C19 2-storey service
wing to rear right.
2 storeys and attic on plinth; modillion eaves cornice. Symmetrical 6-window front
except that the doorway is to left of centre. All 12-pane sashes with cills,
segmental heads and keystones. 3rd bay from left has 4-panelled door with overlight,
lantern set in overlight, surround with keystone and voussoirs, cornice. 3 hipped
dormers, each with 2-light casement of 6 panes each light. Railings on granite
plinth along whole front to right and left of door, spear-headed railings with urn
finilas to principal rails and curved struts; probably late C18/early C19.
At right side, remodelled in C19, ground floor left plate-glass sash with sidelights,
4-pane sash to right. First floor oriel window with 4 lights, 4-pane sash to right,
at 2nd floor two 4-pane sashes. The 2-span roof is lower over the rear service
rooms. To right, 2-storey C19 addition with pitched roof, door, 2 plate-glass sashes
at first floor. Rear wing of 2 storeys, built in 2 phases; first with French window
at ground floor and 4-pane sash at first floor, later addition to end right with
plate-glass sashes, 4 at ground floor and 3 at first floor, all with brick segmental
heads. Rear has C20 lean-to at ground floor, 3 C20 windows at first floor and two
4-pane sashes at 2nd floor. Rear wing has C20 corridor added along ground floor, 16-
pane sash at first floor. Gable end of wing has external stair to C20 glazed doors.
Interior Entrance hall has fine dado panelling with egg and dart mouldings, segmental
arch to rear of hall with shield and coat of arms, fluted pilasters and panelled
soffit; 2nd set of pilasters at entrance to rear service rooms. Stair well has fine
C18 open-well stair, with turned balusters and swept moulded handrail, plain square
newels, rising to attic level. Fielded panelling to stair well with egg and dart and
bead and reel mouldings. The principal room at ground floor right has complete
wooden panelling as in entrance hall; fireplace on rear wall, has wooden chimneypiece
with eared architrave, swept torus frieze and moulded mantel. Plaster modillion
cornice and panelled shutters to windows. Front left room remodelled in C19, with
plain dado panelling and shutters to windows. Rest of house much altered in C20.
Listing NGR: SX1046659846
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings