This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4072 / 50°24'25"N
Longitude: -4.6711 / 4°40'15"W
OS Eastings: 210294
OS Northings: 59777
OS Grid: SX102597
Mapcode National: GBR N4.RRZD
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.818
Entry Name: Old Grammar School Court and Attached Forecourt Walls
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144245
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70885
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 15 NW
Old Grammar School Court and attached forecourt walls (formerly listed as the Old Grammar School)
School, now in multiple occupation.Dated 1781,with late C20 alterations.Granite ashlar front.Slate roof with gable ends behind parapet.Central entrance,and entrance to right and left of front,approached by a path with gateways in the front courtyard walls;originally one room to left and right of the central entrance.Two storeys with attic on plinth,symmetrical one:five:one bays.Three central bays broken forward with pediment with moulded coping;ground floor has arcade of three round arches with square imposts,central panelled and glazed double doors with blind fanlight, two-light C20 casement to right and left with fanlights;at first floor,three twelve-pane sashes,the central sash with the datestone as apron,with inscription:This building was erected by George,Visct Mt Edgcumbe and Valletort in the year 1781;painted shield of arms with viscount's coronet over.Outer bays to right and left have two-light casement in similar round arch, formerly a doorway, with twelve-pane sash at first floor.The attic storey has gabled dormer to left and right, each with four-pane sash,C20 rooflights behind pediment.The forecourt walls are about one and a half metres high, with central gateway with plain pier with pyramidal cap to each side. At each end, a round arch with imposts and wall carried over the coping.Interior Not inspected.
Listing NGR: SX1029459777
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings