This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1962 / 50°11'46"N
Longitude: -5.5526 / 5°33'9"W
OS Eastings: 146552
OS Northings: 38947
OS Grid: SW465389
Mapcode National: GBR DXN5.CD4
Mapcode Global: VH053.PBYG
Entry Name: Rananim
Listing Date: 7 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1144335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70587
Location: Zennor, Cornwall, TR26
Civil Parish: Zennor
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Zennor
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 43 NE
Farmhouse, formerly a pair of cottages. Probably C18, remodelled in the C19 as a
pair of cottages. Granite rubble with granite dressings. Half-hipped Welsh slate
roof (eaves heightened in the C19).
Plan: pair of 1-room plan cottages with entrance lobbies and stairs in the middle,
now remodelled as 1 house. Late C19 lean-tos at rear and former outbuilding on the
right, remodelled and extended in the C20.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 2 window south south east front with pair of
doorway in the middle. C20 doors and windows.
Interior: not inspected.
D.H. Lawrence lived here from 1916-1917. He came to Zennor in 1916 and stayed at the
Tinner's Arms q.v. while looking for a cottage with his wife Frieda. They found this
cottage for which they paid an annual rent of £5. It was then a pair of cottages and
Katherine Marsfield and John Middleton Murry came to live in the other cottage,
intending to form a "tiny settlement", but they did not stay long. Lawrence stayed
on working on the sequel to The Rainbow (1915) published later as Women in Love
(1920), but he was suspected by the local people as the bearded anti-war intellectual
with a German wife. In October 1917 their cottage was searched by the police and
they were told to leave. The bitterness of the experience is recorded in his semi-
autobiographical novel Kangaroo in 1923.
Part of an unspoiled coastal hamlet set in the ancient field system of this part of
Listing NGR: SW4655238947
Other nearby listed buildings