History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orthwaite Hall and Adjoining Barn

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ireby and Uldale, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6971 / 54°41'49"N

Longitude: -3.161 / 3°9'39"W

OS Eastings: 325272

OS Northings: 534183

OS Grid: NY252341

Mapcode National: GBR 6GC4.G0

Mapcode Global: WH6ZT.F60G

Entry Name: Orthwaite Hall and Adjoining Barn

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144419

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72434

Location: Ireby and Uldale, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Ireby and Uldale

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Binsey Team

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Uldale

Listing Text

NY 23 SE IREBY Orthwaite

16/126 Orthwaite Hall and
adjoining barn
11.4.67
II*

Farmhouse and former house now barn. Probably late C16 or early C17 with new
house dated and inscribed on coat-of-arms panel over barn doorway: C.R.1675
(Christopher Richmond, arms Richmond of Highhead impaling Hudleston of Hutton
John). Painted mixed slate and limestone rubble under graduated greenslate roof
with stone chimney stacks. Barn has roughcast walls under graduated greenslate
roof partly replaced with corrugated asbestos. 2 storeys, 6 bays with
right-angled barn to left, of common roof line. C20 panelled door in stone
architrave under segmental pediment. 2-light stone-mullioned windows with C19
leaded casements, in architraves under pulvinated frieze and cornice. Barn has
blocked original house windows now covered by roughcast. Central doorway with
chamfered alternate-block surround under keyed lintel. Plank loft door and all
other openings are C19 and C20. Rear extensions are partly C17 and C19; that to
right has a 2-light window with stone mullion removed and a C19 round-headed
staircase window to left. Belonged to the Simpson family in early C17 until
purchased by the Richmonds. Bought by Browne family in the early C18 and
remained theirs until 1894. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland
Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, lxix, pp221-239; lxx,
pp146-160.


Listing NGR: NY2527234183

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.