History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5925 / 54°35'33"N

Longitude: -3.0748 / 3°4'29"W

OS Eastings: 330647

OS Northings: 522458

OS Grid: NY306224

Mapcode National: GBR 6HZB.3H

Mapcode Global: WH707.RT0N

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 3 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1144527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72181

Location: St. John's Castlerigg and Wythburn, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA12

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: St John's Castlerigg and Wythburn

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: St John's in the Vale and Wythburn

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Threlkeld

Listing Text

NY 32 SW ST JOHNS CASTLERIGG & WYTHBURN ST JOHN'S IN THE VALE

13/96 Church of St John
3.3.67
II

Parish church. Inscribed over porch REBUILT 1845; but incorporating part of an
earlier church, with 1893 restoration. Coursed mixed slate and igneous rock
reinforced with small galleting pieces, under graduated greenslate roof. 6-bay
nave/chancel with small rectangular west tower and north porch. 2-light windows
in Tudor-style stone surrounds and similar 3-light east window. Tower has twin
bellcote openings and battlemented parapets. Segmental-arched low stone porch.
Interior has open timber roof. Carved Royal Arms of George III and marble wall
plaques to Hodgson family 1774 and John Wilkinson 1853. Wooden panelling from
box pews in Crosthwaite Church, brought here in 1893. C18 pulpit and sounding
board are probably from another church, brought here in 1893. Early C18
sanctuary rails, and altar table by Sir G. Gilbert Scott, were the gift of
Crosthwaite Church. Stained-glass east window of 1895 and heraldic south window
to Henry Corrie Jackson who died in the Boer War, 1900. Furnishings and
fittings, 1893.


Listing NGR: NY3064722458

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.