History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West House in a Group of 3, in the Occupation of Mr Jenkinson and Mrs Morris

A Grade II Listed Building in Loweswater, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.5718 / 54°34'18"N

Longitude: -3.3255 / 3°19'31"W

OS Eastings: 314407

OS Northings: 520429

OS Grid: NY144204

Mapcode National: GBR 5H6K.VX

Mapcode Global: WH709.WCM0

Entry Name: West House in a Group of 3, in the Occupation of Mr Jenkinson and Mrs Morris

Listing Date: 5 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145157

English Heritage Legacy ID: 72705

Location: Loweswater, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA13

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Loweswater

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Loweswater with Buttermere

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Loweswater

Listing Text

LOWESWATER LOW PARK
NY 12 SW
13/181 West house in a
group of 3, in the
occupation of
Mr Jenkinson &
Mrs Morris
II
House divided into 2 dwellings. Late C17 with extension dated and inscribed
over side doorway I&MS (Steel) 1812. Painted roughcast walls, under graduated
greenslate roof with roughcast chimney stacks. Extension of incised cement
render with modillioned eaves cornice and angle pilasters. Graduated greenslate
roof with coped gables and kneelers. Original house of 2 low storeys, 3 bays
with integral left stable now converted as part of the house. Right-angled
higher 2-storey, 2-bay extension. Original house has top-glazed panelled door
in C20 cement opening. C17 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows on upper
floor; ground-floor left window with mullion removed and right enlarged
casement. Former stable has C20 window in plain reveal under C20 3-light
window. Left lean-to garage with plank doors. Extension has sash windows with
glazing bars in painted stone surrounds, those on ground floor under bracketed
hoods. Left return wall has top-glazed panelled door in painted stone surround
with dated lintel, within C20 glazed porch. Interior of original house has
moulded stone fireplace dated and inscribed IA 1705 (Jacob Alison), within
inglenook with firebeam. Interior of extension has panelled doors and panelled
shutters to ground-floor windows.


Listing NGR: NY1440720429

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.