This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.6651 / 54°39'54"N
Longitude: -3.4188 / 3°25'7"W
OS Eastings: 308582
OS Northings: 530921
OS Grid: NY085309
Mapcode National: GBR 4GKH.MH
Mapcode Global: WH6ZW.G06J
Entry Name: Church of St Bridget
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72599
Location: Brigham, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA13
Civil Parish: Brigham
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Brigham St Bridget
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 03 SE
4/76 Church of St Bridget
Parish Church. Late C11 with C12, C13 and C14 additions and alterations;
restoration 1864-76 by William Butterfield. Calciferous sandstone ashlar, under
graduated greenslate roof with coped gables, cross finials and shaped ridge
tiles. 3-bay nave and south aisle with square 3-storey west tower and south
porch. 2-bay chancel with north vestry. Nave has blocked north doorway under
round-headed niche. C19 2-light windows. Aisle has buttressed wall with C14
windows, that in west wall almond shaped and that in east wall 5-light, all with
heavily restored tracery. Circa 1390 porch has pointed arch and hoodmould.
Tower has blocked C14 west door under 2-light ogee-headed window; 2-light bell
openings and 1876 gabled roof. South and east chancel walls have been partly
rebuilt in C19, but the lower courses retain on the south a small rectangular
window and blocked priest's doorway; 3-light window retaining some of its
original C13 tracery. 5-light replica C13 east window. Vestry has reused
2-light window with C13 tracery. Interior: C13 font. 3-bay aisle of round
arches on round columns with waterleaf capitals. 1876 painted timber ceiling.
Medieval cross slab built into north wall. Aisle piscina, sedilia and tomb
recess for vicar Thomas de Burgh 1348; east window has flanking statue niches.
Various sculptured fragments from the medieval and earlier church. Pointed
tower arch and vaulted lower chamber. Newel staircase in thickness of wall
angle. Medieval cross slab built into blocked west door. Wall plaques to
Langton family of Cockermouth. Pointed chancel arch. Chancel has C19 painted
timber ceiling. C19 aumbry recess. Unsigned C19 carved white-marble wall
plaque to Ann Mary Morris. C19 furnishings and fittings; C19 stained glass by
Cox & Buckley and Sons, 1870 and by Alexander Gibbs, 1865.
Listing NGR: NY0858030920
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings