This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.6146 / 54°36'52"N
Longitude: -3.449 / 3°26'56"W
OS Eastings: 306522
OS Northings: 525344
OS Grid: NY065253
Mapcode National: GBR 4HC2.3L
Mapcode Global: WH5YX.Z8SQ
Plus Code: 9C6RJH72+RC
Entry Name: Branthwaite Hall
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 72620
Location: Dean, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA14
Civil Parish: Dean
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dean St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 02 SE
8/97 Branthwaite Hall
Tower house with hall wing. Late C14 or early C15, with C16 wing; 1604 and
1670's alterations, all for the Skelton family. Extremely thick walls of mixed
calciferous and red sandstone rubble, partly rendered. Rebuilt graduated
greenslate roofs, that of tower within parapets; brick ridge chimney stack.
Square 4-storey tower with 3-storey, 6-bay hall and 3-storey stair projection.
Tower has many original openings and loops, some blocked and others with C16 and
C17 enlargements. Stone spouts beneath battlemented parapets. Hall has 1670's
fenestration (believed to be the work of William Thackeray) replacing blocked
2-light stone-mullioned windows; sash windows with glazing bars in stone
architraves under ground-floor cornices and upper-floor segmental pediments, one
of the windows being a blocked C17 doorway. Left C19 sash windows in stone
surrounds. Rear has central stair projection. Left C19 plank door in wooden
surround. 2-, 3- and 4-light Tudor windows under hoodmoulds, some blocked and
one with label dated 1604. Blocked 2-light attic windows. Stair projection has
3-light Tudor window. C17 right pent extension. Interior of tower has
ground-floor double-vaulted chambers. Newel staircase in angle of wall for full
height to roof. Mural chambers in upper-floor rooms. Pointed-arched doorways
on 2 floors between hall and tower. Hall range has blocked C16 stone fireplaces
on both floors. newel staircase in stair projection for full 3 storeys. Owned
by the National Coal Board who are, at time of resurvey in Summer 1985, about to
carry out extensive and sympathetic renovation for use as offices. Otherwise at
the time of survey derelict and unoccupied. A scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: NY0652225344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings