History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Armathwaite Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hesket, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8053 / 54°48'19"N

Longitude: -2.7705 / 2°46'13"W

OS Eastings: 350572

OS Northings: 545873

OS Grid: NY505458

Mapcode National: GBR 9D3W.07

Mapcode Global: WH80K.DHY1

Entry Name: Armathwaite Castle

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73864

Location: Hesket, Eden, Cumbria, CA4

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Hesket

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Armathwaite Christ and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Armathwaite

Listing Text

CUMBRIA
EDEN

NY 54 SW HESKET ARMATHWAITE

3/140 Armathwaite Castle

27.12.67

II*


Fortified house and extension. Probably mid C15 with late C17 or early C18
alterations; late C18 extension with late C19 alterations. Extremely thick red
sandstone block walls, the facade of dressed calciferous sandstone, all with
cornice and solid parapet. Double-span hipped graduated greenslate roof within
parapet; banded red sandstone chimney stacks. Extension of dressed calciferous
sandstone walls under Mansard tile roof with banded calciferous sandstone ashlar
chimney stack. 2½ storeys over basement, 5 bays, with 2½-storey, 5-bay, left
extension. Broad stone steps to central panelled and glazed door in quoined
surround under keyed lintel with plain frieze and cornice. Later coat-of-arms
of the Milbourne family over the entrance. Late C19 leaded casement windows in
original stone surrounds; smaller attic sash windows with glazing bars in
original stone surrounds. Straight joint in right return wall; the original
medieval quoin stones with various masons' marks, suggest that the front of the
house has been moved forward, but this is not altogether borne out by the
thickness of the front basement wall. Windows similar to facade. Extension is
of 2 builds, the right 3 bays earlier. Central stone steps to C20 door and
overlight in stone surround. Casement windows in stone surrounds, and gabled
attic dormer windows. Rear fenestration of 4 periods: blocked small
chamfered-surround medieval windows; 2-light stone-mullioned windows with
mullions removed; large C18 sash windows with glazing bars, and round-headed
staircase windows, all in stone surrounds; some C20 windows in cement surrounds
and plain reveals. Left return wall has small chamfered-surround medieval
window, beside which is an C18 sash window in stone surround under a medieval
relieving arch. Interior: no medieval features visible, apart from the splays
of some windows, with masons' marks, and mural recesses thought to be the
remains of newel staircases. Late C17 full-height oak staircase with heavy
barley-twist balusters and moulded handrail. Some early C18 ceiling beams,
moulded plaster cornices and fragments of panelling, otherwise altered after the
1939-45 war into a number of flats and now in the process of conversion back to
one dwelling. Originally the land was granted in 1444 to John Skelton and
passed to his son in 1461, his father having carried out building at great
expense.


Listing NGR: NY5057245873

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.