History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burbank House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dacre, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6864 / 54°41'11"N

Longitude: -2.846 / 2°50'45"W

OS Eastings: 345556

OS Northings: 532701

OS Grid: NY455327

Mapcode National: GBR 8GK7.MV

Mapcode Global: WH813.8G0P

Entry Name: Burbank House

Listing Date: 27 December 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145541

English Heritage Legacy ID: 73768

Location: Dacre, Eden, Cumbria, CA11

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Dacre

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dacre St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Skelton

Listing Text

NY 43 SE DACRE GREAT BLENCOW

13/49 Burbank House

27.12.67

II


Grammar school now private house. 1793. Mixed sandstone and limestone rubble
walls, with eaves cornice and V-jointed quoins, on chamfered plinth. Graduated
greenslate roof with coped gables and kneelers; open bellcote on gable, and
banded ashlar chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 6 bays with single-storey, single-bay
right kitchen extension. Off-centre panelled door and intersecting glazing-bar
fanlight in alternate-block surround with round arch. Extreme left doorway also
has alternate-block surround and reused lintel from the earlier school;
inscribed THOMAS BURBANK 1577 with Latin tag. Ground-floor sash windows with
intersecting glazing-bar heads in round-headed stone surrounds; similar sash
windows with glazing bars in stone surrounds above, but with flat heads. The
stone bellcote has open-arched sides under pyramidal roof with greyhound vane.
Extension has blank front wall and similar details to match house. Left return
wall has C20 garage door under blocked Venetian window, flanked by round-headed
windows. Upper floor flat-headed sash windows with glazing bars under oval
window flanked by blocked small square attic windows. Rear single-storey
extension in similar details. Central round-headed window, otherwise all
flat-headed sashes with glazing bars. Endowed as a school in 1577 and closed
c1919.


Listing NGR: NY4555632701

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.