History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nos 13, 15, 17, 17a and 19

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.328 / 54°19'40"N

Longitude: -2.7471 / 2°44'49"W

OS Eastings: 351512

OS Northings: 492754

OS Grid: SD515927

Mapcode National: GBR 9L8D.28

Mapcode Global: WH82W.SG2X

Entry Name: Nos 13, 15, 17, 17a and 19

Listing Date: 24 April 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145674

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75494

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal St George

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Burneside

Listing Text

SD 5192 NE KENDAL STRICKLANDGATE
(East side)

8/148 Nos 13, 15, 17, 17A,
24-4-51 & 19
14-4-69
G.V. II*

Houses, now subdivided into shops. 1688 date, with initials G. & M.W. (George &
Mary Wilson), on spice cupboard in no 13 (now removed but recorded by
R.C.H.M.). Nos 15-19 are late C18, built for Thomas Miller (Mayor of Kendal
1776-7 & 1780-1). All refronted c1822, probably by Francis Webster; nos 15-19
had new windows and shop fronts inserted in mid C19. Partly timber-framed;
incised stucco to lath and plaster front. Moulded bressummer to jettied 2nd
floor; dentilled eaves cornice. Graduated slate roof with wings projecting to
rear; diagonally-set corniced stone chimney between nos 13 & 15, other chimneys
to rear. 3 storeys with cellars, 7 bays overall. No 13, symmetrical, single
wide bay: Early C19 corniced wooden shop front, with reeded pilasters,
comprising central part-glazed door and semicircular fanlight between bow
windows over ornamental iron cellar grilles; tripartite sash with wide glazing
bars to each upper floor. Nos 15-19, six bays overall: 2 mid C19 corniced
wooden shop fronts (right-hand one subdivided) with recessed part-glazed doors
and arcaded plate-glass windows; central entrance to no 17A has recessed
panelled door with cast-iron barley-sugar-twist columns supporting pediment.
6 margined sashes in architraves to each upper floor. Interior of no 13
exceptionally complete, retaining early C19 tea and coffee shop fittings
(panelled counter, arcaded shelving, and bins); late C17 features include
closed-string stairs (with turned balusters, square newels, and moulded
handrails), split-level floors, fireplaces, doors, and some panelling. Graded
mainly for this interior.


Listing NGR: SD5151292754

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.