History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

134 and 136, Highgate

A Grade II Listed Building in Kendal, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3239 / 54°19'26"N

Longitude: -2.7474 / 2°44'50"W

OS Eastings: 351483

OS Northings: 492296

OS Grid: SD514922

Mapcode National: GBR 9L7F.ZR

Mapcode Global: WH82W.RLW2

Entry Name: 134 and 136, Highgate

Listing Date: 24 April 1951

Last Amended: 30 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1145680

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75408

Location: Kendal, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA9

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Kendal

Built-Up Area: Kendal

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Kendal Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Kendal

Listing Text

In the entry for the following:-

SD 5192 SW KENDAL
HIGHGATE
338-/10/10004 (west side)

24.4.1951 Nos 134 & 136
(formerly listed as Kermole House)

II

The address and description shall be amended to read:-

SD 5192 SW KENDAL

HIGHGATE STREET
(west side)
338-/10/10004
Nos 134, 134A & 136
(formerly listed as Kermole House)

II

2 Houses, now used as offices. Built 1800, for John Davidson. Ashlar with hammer
dressed plinth and 1st floor cill band: ashlar continued round north east corner, rest of
north return coursed squared rubble. Eaves cornice carried on dentils. Graduated slate
roof north stone mid and end chimneys. 3 storeys. Each house 3 bays with stone steps
up to panelled door and semi-circular fanlight in stone surround on left; original splayed
ramped wrought-iron handrails have square standards and a cast-iron urn finial to either
side at top. Sashes with glazing bars narrow sash to each floor in ashlar section of north
return lower service range to no 134 (no 134A) of three bays, with catslide roof over off
shut as part of adjoining bay carried forward as far as tall stair window to no 134. Two
tall chimney stacks of rubble stone, one to gable, one to ridge. Glazing bar sashes to
ground and first floors overlooking rear courtyard, which is enclosed by the service range.

------------------------------------------------




SD 5192 SW KENDAL HIGHGATE
(West side)

10/67 Nos 134 & 136 (formerly listed
as Kermole House)

24-4-51
G.V. II

2 houses, now used as offices. Built c1800 for John Davidson. Ashlar with
hammer-dressed plinth and 1st floor sill band; ashlar continued round north-east
corner, rest of north return coursed, squared, rubble. Eaves cornice carried on
dentils. Graduated slate roof with stone mid and end chimneys. 3 storeys.
Each house 3 bays with stone steps up to panelled door and semicircular fanlight
in stone surround on left; original splayed, ramped, wrought-iron handrails have
square standards and a cast-iron urn finial to either side at top. Sashes with
glazing bars; narrow sash to each floor in ashlar section of north return.


Listing NGR: SD5148392296

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.