This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.2037 / 54°12'13"N
Longitude: -2.5975 / 2°35'51"W
OS Eastings: 361121
OS Northings: 478824
OS Grid: SD611788
Mapcode National: GBR BM9T.FV
Mapcode Global: WH94P.2LCR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 February 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145774
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75246
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
TO EAST OF QUEEN'S SQUARE
Church of St Mary
SD 6178 NW 5/152 12.2.62
C12 to C16 with alterations C18 and C19. Ashlar and rubble. Slate roof with lead
gutters. Nave and chancel with axial west tower of four storeys, two north aisles
and one south aisle. Outer north aisle gabled. Tower (partly C18) and walls
entirely embattled in C19. Two deep buttresses to east wall with many setbacks. East
window of three lancets with vesica over. Square-headed windows of several lights
to the aisles, the lights cusped to south aisle, round headed to north. Three
Romanesque doorways, two to south aisle and an elaborate one of four orders at base
of tower. South porch, Romanesque, added 1866.
Interior. Nave and chancel arcade of seven bays, the first three round arches of
C12, the eastern four two-centred arches of C13. The Romanesque north arcade of
nave combines composite piers and round piers with incised decoration in the manner
of Durham cathedral. The fabric of the south aisle is mainly C14. The north aisles
are mainly C16 and are separated by an arcade of that date. The east window of the
chancel has an inner order of slim detached shafts with rings. Early C13 piscina in
first column of south arcade. Pulpit 1619. Other woodwork and furniture C17 to C18.
The principal medieval church of South Westmorland. The arcade which imitates that
of Durham cathedral is of the first importance.
Listing NGR: SD6112478822
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings