This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.2087 / 54°12'31"N
Longitude: -2.6328 / 2°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 358827
OS Northings: 479397
OS Grid: SD588793
Mapcode National: GBR BM1S.T2
Mapcode Global: WH94N.JGJX
Entry Name: Tearnside Hall and Attached Stable and Barn
Listing Date: 21 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75162
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
Tearnside Hall and
attached stable and barn
SD 57 NE 3/49 21.11.52
1686 and early C18. Well-preserved farmhouse, stable and barn in one range. The
farmhouse dates from 1686 but was probably heightened and altered in the early C18
when the stable and barn were probably added. The farmhouse is of two storeys with
attic. Rubble with rough quoins. Slate roof. Three chimneys with slate water
tables. The entrance facade is defined by two continuous strings which form labels
to several chamfered two and three light stone mullioned windows, all with modern
glazing. Off centre two storey gabled stone porch with larger rectangular three
light window on first floor over which label is stepped. The double filleted
mullions form the outline of a Venetian window. Doorway below has moulded jambs and
a lintel carved with foliage, over which lower label is stepped. Above this is a
plaque with label around, with raised lettering: "IAB 1686" and foliage. Plank door.
To right of porch is another doorway with chamfered jambs carried up to form ogee
enrichment on lintel. Modern stable door. The left hand side elevation has one small
chamfered stone window on each floor. The rear elevation has two out shuts, one
(the staircase) roofed continuously with the main block, the other which abuts it
under a separate lean-to roof. The first is of one bay, the second of two, all the
windows being of two lights with plain reveals but chamfered stone mullions.
Interior. Left hand room ground floor has large stone fireplace with moulded imposts
supporting a segmental lintel with enrichment and cornice. C19 wooden Gothic dado
panelling with cast iron cusping, brought from elsewhere. Central ground floor room
has an altered stone fireplace with smooth lintel. Plank doors, except that to the
larger outshut, which is of two panels preserving its upper bolection moulding, and
that to the staircase, which is of two leaves each of two panels of C17 type. Open
well closed string stair of six short flights and two landings with square panelled
newels, turned balusters and heavy moulded handrail. The first floor has exposed
beams and joists, and plank doors, throughout. Left hand room has fireplace similar
to that of room below, and is entirely panelled, with bolection moulded panels pieced
out with modern work. In the right hand end wall of farmhouse is a small four light
chamfered timber window with diamond mullions, blocked since building of stable.
Large attic with heavy trench purlin raised half-cruck collar roof, one blade cut off
at knee with later truss bolted on.
Stable and barn of rubble. Corrugated iron roof. Small doorway to stable, large one
to barn answered by another at rear. (RCHM).
Listing NGR: SD5882779397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings