This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.2008 / 54°12'2"N
Longitude: -2.5965 / 2°35'47"W
OS Eastings: 361184
OS Northings: 478498
OS Grid: SD611784
Mapcode National: GBR BM9V.NX
Mapcode Global: WH94P.2NVZ
Plus Code: 9C6V6C23+8C
Entry Name: Town End House and the Courts
Listing Date: 12 February 1962
Last Amended: 22 March 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1145784
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75168
Location: Kirkby Lonsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA6
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale
Built-Up Area: Kirkby Lonsdale
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Kirkby Lonsdale Team Ministry
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
5166 (west side)
Town End House and
The Courts (formerly listed
as Town End House with
gatepiers attached at left
SD 6178 NW 5/55 12.2.62
1777. Two storeys and basement. Ashlar. Slate roof. Three chimneys. Symmetrical
five bay composition with a sixth bay added in the same style at left hand end.
Rustication, vermiculated to basement lintels then banded to ground floor sills. Two
strings and modillion cornice. Rainwater heads with "R.G. 1777" for Richard Gathorne.
Windows with sills and plain reveals, sashed with all glazing bars. Fourth window of
first floor, tripartite, forms canted bay carried on two Doric columns over doorway.
Six panel door. Across front wrought iron railings on stone plinth with some urn
finials. Extension to left hand side, after 1870. Two storeys but lower and
lacking cornice. One chimney. One window. Back is of rubble. Two storey semi-
circular bay with eaves cornice. Windows with plain stone surrounds, sashed. Those
to bay tripartite. Tall stair window with glazing bars. Modern door.
Interior. Alcove in front hall with elliptical arch in wood. Open string stair with
stick balusters and continuous wreathed handrail. On staircase ceiling small design
of roses in plaster. Raised and fielded panelled shutters to most windows. Walls of
cottages previously on site said to survive in basement.
Adjoining house on left hand side two sandstone gatepiers with chamfered rustication
and ball finials.
Listing NGR: SD6118478498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings