This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0132 / 51°0'47"N
Longitude: -2.1372 / 2°8'13"W
OS Eastings: 390474
OS Northings: 123764
OS Grid: ST904237
Mapcode National: GBR 1XL.DHG
Mapcode Global: FRA 66DF.R72
Entry Name: Donhead Hall with Attached Walls and Terraces
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320856
Location: Donhead St. Mary, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Donhead St. Mary
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Donhead St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DONHEAD ST. MARY WATERY LANE
ST 92 SW (off west side)
7/69 Donhead Hall with attached
walls and terraces
Country house. Early C18. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate hipped
roof, rendered stacks. Two storeys and attic over basement, 7-
window east front. Centre three bays project with quadrants,
central French windows up steps in moulded architrave with pediment
on consoles, curved bay either side has 12-pane sash in Gibbs
surround, two flanking bays have Gibbs surrounds with to left plate
glass fixed windows and, two 12-pane sashes to right. Basement
with banded rustication and small 9-pane sashes with keystones.
First floor has three 2-light casements to centre, two plate glass
sashes either side, all in Gibbs surrounds. Corner pilasters with
block rustication to plain frieze and eaves cornice, centre bay has
raised attic with volutes to pediment with oculus. Left return
has 5 French windows with louvred shutters to terrace with iron
railings, first floor has five 9-pane sashes in Gibbs surrounds, 3
pedimented dormers with 2-light casements to roof. Right return
has 2-storey, 3-bay projecting entrance hall, probably early C19,
porch with large round-arched doorway with double panelled doors
and fanlight, glazed hipped roof with griffins to cornice, three 9-
pane sashes with keystones to first floor, flanked by plain
pilasters to pediment with oculus, main range has 9-pane sash
either side to first floor and 6-panelled door to right, attic
dormers. Rear has 2-light leaded casement to basement, 12-pane
sashes to ground floor and 9-pane sashes to first floor. Interior
largely inaccessible at time of survey (November 1985), but central
stairs have three turned balusters to tread, ramped and wreathed
handrail, carved tread ends, top-lit with plain glazed panel.
Good doors with 6 fielded panels in moulded architraves, egg and
dart and dentilled ceiling cornices. Main reception rooms have
fine raised and fielded panelling and pilasters, central room on
east front has double apsidal ends and rococo plaster ceiling, C18
fireplaces. Attached to left of front is good stone wall with
pitched coping and arched gateway with C19 spearhead gates, pier to
left with griffin. Attached to rear right is C19 raised terrace
and steps over semi-circular arches, with iron balusters and chain
links. House occupies elevated position overlooking deer park.
Owned by Sir Godfrey Kneller (1646-1723) during early C18 and by Wyndham
family during C19.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9047423764
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings