This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0252 / 51°1'30"N
Longitude: -2.1138 / 2°6'49"W
OS Eastings: 392111
OS Northings: 125093
OS Grid: ST921250
Mapcode National: GBR 2YR.LDG
Mapcode Global: FRA 66GD.N9M
Entry Name: Leigh Court
Listing Date: 6 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320787
Location: Donhead St. Andrew, Wiltshire, SP7
Civil Parish: Donhead St. Andrew
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Donhead St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
DONHEAD ST. ANDREW HERNSHAM STREET
ST 92 NW (west side)
4/5 Leigh Court
Farmhouse, now detached house. C16 and C17, altered during 1930s
by Collett family. Dressed limestone, C20 brick stacks to tiled
roof. Plan altered, but consists of opposing doorways into
entrance hall to rear of main stack, service cross wing beyond
'hall'. Single-storey with attic, 2 casements. Stone gabled porch
with coped verge and ledged door in ovolo-moulded doorway to left
of main range, 2-light 1930s mullioned casement to left and right,
one C17 mullioned casement to right, attic has two C20 steel
casements with gables. C17 cross wing to left has 1930s mullioned
casements and outshut to right Rear has ovolo-moulded door
surround to central planked door, 1930s 2-light mullioned casement
and small leaded light to left, buttress with offsets and 1930s
mullioned casement with original hoodmould to right, attic has
single chamfered light, gabled 2-light steel casement and 3-light
mullioned casement with hoodmould. Cross wing to right has 2-light
mullioned casement with hoodmould and two 12-pane sashes to first
floor. To left is former barn with 1930s mullioned and transomed
casement and 3-light casement to attic, basement has shouldered
chamfered doorway and chamfered single light. Right return has
1930s square bay window to ground floor, 2-light C17 blocked
mullioned casement to first floor and 1930s casement to attic.
Interior: 1930s alterations include removal of stairs and
replacement with large dogleg stairs in entrance hall. Hollow-
chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with planked door with strap hinges
from entrance hall to main heated room; very deep chamfered beam
with stepped stops and open fireplace with cambered lintel on stone
jambs; blocked ovolo-moulded pointed archway in wall between this
room and outshut of cross wing. Cross wing has Tudor-arched stone
fireplace, evidence of three former doorways from main room to
cross wing suggests the former position of a hall and cross passage
entered through the pointed arch on north side. First floor has
plank and muntin partition and chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace
with jewel stops to room above main room. Roof renewed 1930s.
Present house probably represents remains of late Medieval house.
Colt Hoare notes Leigh Court as a manor house.
(R. Colt Hoare, Modern Wiltshire, 1829)
Listing NGR: ST9211125093
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings