This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0834 / 51°5'0"N
Longitude: -1.9803 / 1°58'49"W
OS Eastings: 401474
OS Northings: 131568
OS Grid: SU014315
Mapcode National: GBR 2YB.44D
Mapcode Global: FRA 66R8.0BS
Entry Name: Little Clarendon
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146116
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320736
Location: Dinton, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Dinton
Built-Up Area: Dinton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Dinton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 03 SW DINTON HINDON ROAD
Detached house. Late C16, altered C17 and restored early C20 by
George Engleheart. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to left and
diagonally-set stone stacks. Former hall house with cross wing.
Two-storey and attic, 4-window front. Two-storey gabled porch to
left of centre has Tudor-arched doorway and pointed moulded inner
doorway, single lights to side walls, upper floor has 2-light
ovolo-mullioned casement and square sundial, ground floor to left
has 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould, 4-light to
right with hoodmould. First floor has raised eaves in stone with
3-light mullioned casement with hoodmoulds. Cross wing to right
has 2-light mullioned casement facing west, front has 4-light
mullioned casements to ground and first floors, 3-light mullioned
casement to attic and blocked light over. Left return has 4-light
ovolo-mullioned casement to ground and first floors, single-storey
wing to rear has leaded casement and 2-light mullioned casement,
1920s attic dormer with leaded casements. Rear of east wing has 2-
light ovolo-mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to three floors and
square stair turret with 2-light mullioned casements and gabled
roof attached to west side, rear of main range has Tudor-arched
doorway and 4-light mullioned casement to hall, 3-light to first
floor. Single-storey wing to west, rebuilt 1920s with chamfered
mullioned casements and hipped dormers to attic, leaded casements
to north gable.
Interior: Entry from porch into hall; deep chamfered beam with
stepped stops, Tudor-arched stone fireplace, wainscot panelled
dado. Good wain-scot door to dining room has arabesque-carved
frieze to architrave. East room has moulded cross beams and Tudor-
arched stone fireplace, north east study in wing has deep chamfered
beam, newel stairs with chamfered square newel in turret. First
floor has Tudor-arched stone fireplaces in bedrooms, doors with 4
or 6 fielded panels, good wainscot panelled door to attic with
rosette frieze, 4-bay collar roof over main range, probably Cl7. A
C16 house, probably altered including raised eaves, in late C17.
House acquired by Henry Hayter, formerly at Clarendon Park in 1697.
George Engleheart was a daffodil grower who bought the house 1901
and developed new types of bulb whilst at Little Clarendon.
(Country Life, 17 December 1943)
Listing NGR: SU0147431568
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings