This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0843 / 51°5'3"N
Longitude: -1.9881 / 1°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 400932
OS Northings: 131670
OS Grid: SU009316
Mapcode National: GBR 2Y4.VKR
Mapcode Global: FRA 66Q8.399
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146120
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320744
Location: Dinton, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Dinton
Built-Up Area: Dinton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Dinton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 03 SW DINTON ST MARYS ROAD
Church of St Mary the Virgin
Anglican parish church. Late C12, late C13, C14, C15, restored
1873-75 by William Butterfield. Rubble stone, tiled roofs with
coped verges and cross finials. Aisle-less cruciform plan with
1870s south vestry and north porch. Gabled porch with double
chamfered pointed doorway and 1870s double doors, nave has pair of
cusped ogee-headed lancets either side, octagonal stair turret with
arrow loopholes and conical roof, in angle between nave and north
transept. C13 north transept has C19 three-light Perpendicular-
style north window, three stepped lancets to east. C14 chancel
has low moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould and three 3-light
windows with reticulated tracery to north side, east end has
diagonal buttresses and large 5-light windows with intersecting
tracery, ogee quatrefoil over, south side has three 3-light windows
as north. South transept has 3-light C19 Perpendicular-style
south window, lancet to east, diagonal buttresses. Lean-to vestry
attached to south side of nave has large stone chimney stack,
lancets; nave has blocked pointed doorway, pair of cusped lancets
to left, right pair now within vestry. West end has diagonal
buttresses and 3-light window of lancets. Crossing tower of 2
stages has string course to offset bellstage and 2-light pointed
Perpendicular louvred windows with hoodmoulds, string course to
Interior: Late C12 north doorway within porch has attached shafts
with stylised leaf capitals and double chamfered pointed arch.
Nave has 4-bay rafter wagon roof with three tie-beams. C14
crossing with triple chamfered arches on chamfered square piers,
quadripartite rib vault with bell rope hatch and Signs of the
Evangelists on corbels. Blacked doorway on north side of nave,
formerly to rood loft, pointed doorway in north transept to stairs.
South transept has scissor-rafter roof, trefoil-headed piscina on
south wall, north transept has similar roof, both C19. Chancel
has pointed barrel vaulted roof with ribbed panels and rosettes,
two cambered moulded tie-beams, polychrome tiled floor, moulded
string course at sill level, C14 ogee-headed piscina on south wall.
Fittings: pews and choir stalls, wood and stone hexagonal pulpit
and communion rail by Butterfield. Square Purbeck marble font on
columns with blind trefoiled arcading to sides. Original C14
stained glass in south east window of chancel, rest of glass clear.
Royal Arms of George IT on south wall of nave. Monuments: Marble
cartouche in chancel to Lawrence and Edward Hyde died 1676, marbles
in north transept to members of Wyndham family of Phillips House
(q.v.), the best to William Wyndham died 1733 with broken segmental
pediment and arms, fluted pilasters and gadrooned apron. South
transept stone tablet with Ionic pilasters to Rebecca Madox (sic),
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0092631668
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings