This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0654 / 51°3'55"N
Longitude: -2.0068 / 2°0'24"W
OS Eastings: 399619
OS Northings: 129558
OS Grid: ST996295
Mapcode National: GBR 2YH.3FX
Mapcode Global: FRA 66P9.G12
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146126
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320762
Location: Fovant, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Fovant
Built-Up Area: Fovant
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Fovant St George
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 92 NE FOVANT CHURCH LANE
3/176 Church of St George
Anglican parish church. C13, C14, late C15, restored 1863 by T.H.
Wyatt. Dressed limestone, tiled roof with fishscale tiled bands.
Plan: west tower, nave, north and south aisles, south west porch,
chancel with south chapel. Gabled C19 south porch has Tudor-
arched double chamfered doorway with quatrefoil over, diagonal
buttress to left, lancet to west wall and coped verge. South
aisle has two 3-light Tudor-arched late C15 windows with hoodmoulds
to left and square-headed 3-light window with hoodmould to right,
buttress with offset. South chapel has reset C12 doorway with
coupled columns and planked C19 door, east end has diagonal
buttresses to both chancel and chapel, both with 3-light C14
windows with reticulated tracery and hoodmoulds, north side of
chancel has C19 cusped lancet and pair of ogee-headed lancets.
North aisle is lean-to with 3-light square-headed C16 window to
east, remains of clasping buttress at east end of nave, north side
of aisle has C19 three-light and two 2-light cusped square-headed
windows and chamfered pointed doorway, west end has 2-light cusped
square-headed window. Good late C15 three-stage tower has moulded
plinth, diagonal buttresses and string courses, polygonal stair
turret with open parapet against north east corner, west side of
tower has moulded pointed doorway with angel terminals to
hoodmould, 4-light Perpendicular window to second stage, 2-light
Perpendicular windows with pierced stone louvres to bellstage,
quatrefoil frieze with gargoyles to parapet of cusped triangles
with open quatrefoils to merlons of battlement, south side has
crocketed image niches and blocked ogee-headed window to second
Interior: porch has C19 inner door with painted biblical
inscriptions, pointed doorway on east wall to aisle. Nave has
pointed barrel-vaulted panelled ceiling. Tall double chamfered
tower arch with C19 screen incorporating reset C15 cusped open
arcading, polychrome tiled floor to baptistry in tower, Tudor-
arched doorway to stairs. Four-bay north arcade has double
chamfered arches on cylindrical piers, lean-to 4-bay rafter roof.
South aisle has 3-bay pointed arcade on octagonal piers and moulded
Tudor-arched doorway at east end of arcade, 3-bay C19 arch-braced
collar roof. South chapel, now organ chamber. C19 moulded
chancel arch has foliated corbels with ballflower ornament, pointed
barrel-vaulted panelled ceiling, unusual double arcade between
vestry and chancel. Fittings: C19 limestone octagonal font on
marble column in tower. C19 stone and marble pulpit with relief-
carved heads of Apostles and cast-iron and brass railings to steps
continuing across chancel on low stone wall. C19 pews and choir
stalls, 1833 charity board in nave. Brass plaque in chancel has
Latin inscription recording the rebuilding of tower by George Rede,
rector in 1495.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9961929558
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings