This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0882 / 51°5'17"N
Longitude: -2.0175 / 2°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 398870
OS Northings: 132097
OS Grid: ST988320
Mapcode National: GBR 2Y3.LRQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 66N7.XG7
Plus Code: 9C3V3XQM+72
Entry Name: Fitz House
Listing Date: 6 January 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1146263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 320386
Location: Teffont, Wiltshire, SP3
Civil Parish: Teffont
Built-Up Area: Teffont Magna
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Teffont Evias with Teffont Magna St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 93 SE TEFFONT THE STREET
1/160 Fitz House
Detached house. Mid C17 with wing of 1700, 1920s alterations.
Dressed limestone, two-span tiled roof, gable-end rendered stacks.
L-plan. Two-storey, 3-window front. Central door with 4 fielded
panels in gabled stone porch, either side is 4-light hollow-
chamfered mullioned and transomed window with hoodmould. First
floor has 4-light recessed chamfered mullioned window with
hoodmould either side of blocked window with inserted square
chamfered light. Roof has coped verges. To left is 2-storey wing
projecting to front, blocked chamfered doorway and 2-light
mullioned window to right return, gable-end to front has 3-light
mullioned window to ground floor, two 2-light mullioned windows to
first floor and one 3-light mullioned window to attic, stone
lozenge-shaped tablet has lettering: R/FITZ/1700/M. Left return
of wing has three 2-light mullioned windows, recessed chamfered
doorway with sidelight under hoodmould and one 3-light mullioned
window. First floor has two 2-light, two 3-light and one 2-light
mullioned windows; all recessed chamfered, wing has pantiled roof.
Right return of main range has lean-to extension with 2-light
mullioned window. Rear has 2-light mullioned windows to gable-end
of wing, main range has pantiled lean-to porch to right, 3-light
and two 2-light mullioned windows to left, first floor has 1-light,
3-light and two 2-light mullioned windows.
Interior has doors with 6 fielded panels, moulded cross beams in
room to left of entrance hall, several square-headed moulded stone
corner fireplaces and one Tudor-arched stone fireplace. Sun
Insurance disc over front door. Wing of 1700 said to have been a
wool store until its conversion for living accommodation in 1920s.
The Fitz family were important freeholders in Teffont Magna from
C17 until early C19. (VCH, Wiltshire Vol 8, 1965.)
Listing NGR: ST9887032097
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings